Leaf buds yet?

berngard3April 2, 2012

3 potted minis from last year are not showing any sign of leaf buds yet (all in-ground roses are in full bush now). We had an extremely mild winter in the Mid-Atlantic (we had 1 day of cold weather). Put my 3 pots out about 3 weeks ago (weather then and now a minimum of the mid-60s daily (even as high as 80), 40s at night). Watered. Still no sign of leaf buds on any of the 3. Overwintered in my uninsulated garage. Last watered in Dec. before putting them away. Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Are the canes still green? If so keep them in the sun and watered and they should eventually leaf out. If the canes are brown or withered looking prune them back to good healthy green cane with a white/creamy center. Even if that's to the soil line. Most minis are own root and they may come back from the roots but that will take a little more time.

I would recommend in the future that you water them over the winter at least once a month. Dehydration is one of the quickest ways to kill a dormant rose. Think of them as sleeping, not dead, and water them.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 5:37PM
berngard3

Thanks. Nothing looks green or healthy--all pretty much like dried twigs. I'll cut back little by little to see if I can find any healthy white centers. Obviously, I'm new to this. Ordered 5 more minis and have them in pots; don't want this to happen next year.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 1:38PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

"Dried twigs" says "dead" to me. You can dig down beneath the soil surface to see if there is any green down below. If no sign of green, then punt. As seil said, even when overwintered in a garage the soil needs to be kept moist.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
dan_keil_cr
You have lovely collection of many types of roses....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
What's wrong with this little miniature rose plant??
Hi all, My mom got this for me up in Sonoma around...
a_shau
Sport of Hot Tamale?
Hello! My Hot Tamale is new this year, own root. It...
redwolfdoc_z5
Help with ID of grocery store mini (pics)
I saw these two minis at the grocery store for $3.99...
gardennatlanta
mini and pineapple love each other.
My pineapple houseplant was getting too big so I put...
Wild Haired Mavens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™