Branching Seedling

tessa_leonieNovember 4, 2012

Hi, I decided to join the forum since I regularly lurk here for expert advice. My plumeria seedlings are now 2 years old and are growing nicely though they have not bloomed yet . One of my smaller seedlings did branch though. I was hoping to get some advice on whether I should let them get dormant or to prolong the growing as long as possible. I have put them inside now it is getting cold (I am in the Netherlands but not sure what zone). Last year I lost my biggest seedling to rot so I am tempted to keep them warm and cozy. What do you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some more pics of my plumeria seedlings

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jandey1(TX8)

Tessa, welcome to the forum! Always nice to have international friends join us! I don't know a lot about your weather, but it's probably safe to assume you'd be maybe a zone 6 or 7, getting to freezing in the winter from about now to maybe April?

Plumeria seedlings will not go dormant their first winter, but most do their second winter. You may find a mix of dormant and not-dormant. Just water the ones who keep most of their leaves only when they look like they need it. That will vary a lot depending on the temperature and humidity level you provide. Those who lose all or nearly all their leaves can do without water pretty much all winter.

Your seedling looks great and may still be small enough to not go dormant. It looks very like the only one of mine to branch from the 2010 crop. Here it is earlier this year:

Only the main stem grew much. To be safe I've recently tied the outer branch to the main branch, to grow more at a 45 degree angle and to keep it safe with all the winter moving that's coming up.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 4:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tessa_leonie

Hey Jandey, thanks for your response! Ultimately both my plumeria went dormant so I let them dry really well before moving them to a slightly colder room I do keep them in the windowsill because I heard keeping them near light is best. So far so good (no rot yet) Can't wait till they start growing again!

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
Jungle Jacks at Lowes
So, now that I have your attention....when do you think...
rox146
Plumies doing better
Hello! Just an update. My beautiful plumies are doing...
tamela_star
Back from the dead.
I'm back. After giving up on this site, they contacted...
tdogdad
what do you think of the callus?
The three on the left are hard and appear to be good...
plumeriai45
OT White Beach In Southern Cali?
I think I need to put Visine in my eyes.. Did I just...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™