a predicament....

jost4318(9B (Orlando, FL))November 9, 2013

So I have an aztec gold and it has an inflow growing out of every single one of its 5 growth tips (two of which just started blooming). ever since these inflows have started developing the baby leaf nodes on the plant have been dying and falling off while the stalk continues to grow. the plant has been left with no new leaves to replace the old leaves which have now mostly died and fallen off. at first I thought this was just due to the plant going dormant however my other plumerias have not started dropping their leaves yet. I am wondering if I should keep all the inflows on the plant or if I should cut a few off. also If I do cut them off early will the plant still branch out normally? I am located in the orlando area our current highs are around 80 and our lows are 60-65

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_first_kms2(8/9)

Any chance its related to insects? When it was dropping leaves were the dropping from the lower parts of the branch first?

At this point i would not cut anything off. If the plant cannot support the blooms it will fall off naturally. Some plants may start hibernating earlier than others so maybe Aztec is ready to call it quits for the season.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 5:19PM
beachplant(9b)

I, too, would just leave it alone. Mine will drop leaves if it doesn`t get enough water, you look at it wrong, the wind blows, it`s the only plumeria I have ever had that loses leaves like this. Grows like crazy though. It`s getting moved across the alley next year cause I am tired of picking up the leaves from the porch.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 5:26PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

If I had temps like that, I would let them decide..

Good luck!!! I have to force because of space reasons and the sudden cold snap that always appears around this time of the year. If I have mild temps, I would let Mother Nature decide... IMO of course...

Take care,

Laura

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
Can anyone ID this plumeria?
This was my first plumeria. I found it in the backyard...
jedobaTX9b
Any Good Plumeria Nurserys In The Miami Area ?
Hello Gang; Will be spending next weekend in Miami...
edzone9
more middle room
re worked some space in the middle of courtyard. used...
rox146
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™