Preparing New Beds/ Organic Matter

dchezbotApril 11, 2013

Me and my wife just got married in December and moved into a small rent house that had a yard in terrible shape. I have decided to take on gardening as a hobby; I have been reading a lot and really enjoying it, but today I got in way over my head. I guess I read just enough to get me in trouble. I am only trying to set up three small flower beds totaling around 100 sq ft. I am wanting to plant some miniature roses and some different companion veggies.

I have purchased
3) Denver's Dream
1) Montana
2) Cupcake
1) Busy Bee
1) Mystery Rose that was unlabeled but a very healthy looking plant at the store

I have had my soil tested and everything is good except my Nitrogen which is at 5lbs per acre instead of the suggested 60.

I have read that a ratio as high as 50 percent organic compost to 50 percent original soil can be good for roses. So I went a little crazy at Lowes today.

I ended up coming home with
3 CF Peat Moss
Two 40 lbs bags of Mushroom Compost
Seven 40lb bags of Peat Humus
Fifteen 40lb bags of Cow Manure
2 CF of Cotton Burr

I am in Oklahoma and have neutral clay soil.

I also meant to buy Ammoniom Sulphate, but ended up coming home with Aluminum Sulphate. I plan to return that tomorrow and get the 4lbs of Ammoniom I meant to get.

What should I return? What should I have bought? Can I use the cow manure. I meant to get cow manure compost, but somehow ended up with a trunk full of cow manure instead.

Please help. I'm over my head in manure!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Wow! You did go a little nuts. I'm sorry I can't help you with soil information but if you do a search on here about it I'm sure there will be plenty of threads with loads of info. Or try posting this question on the regular rose forum where there is a lot more activity. I'm sure some people will be able to help you.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 5:08PM
dchezbot

Thanks Seil. I'm new to gardenweb and actually found the soil forum after I posted this. Got a lot of great suggestions on the post on that thread. In case anyone else runs in to this apparently I didn't go that over board. For a full new bed the amount of stuff I purchased is appropriate as long as I mix it in deep enough. I was told to just return the Aluminum Sulfate and not worry about adding any chemicals until I see how things grow after adding all the organic matter. Excited to get my minatures in the ground this weekend!

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 5:53PM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

You're mini's should love their new home. Don't get upset if some of the mini's don't grow a lot the first year. They will be growing roots the 1st year. Most of my mini's don't really start to grow good (as far as I'm conserned) until mid way through their 2nd year. Then "boom".

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 12:33PM
lesdvs9

You should do quite well with a ;lasagna' bed. It's a lot of fun and it works also. run a search on it be the easiest garden you've created.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 3:21AM
tkhooper(7)

Congrats on your new hobby. I agree not much growth the first year but they make up for it.

I use the bayer rose treatment all in one and apply it once every 6 weeks. that takes care of fertilizing, pests and diseases common to roses.

My beds are a mix of Virginia clay and homemade compost. I do scratch in sulphur at the beginning of spring and at the end of fall each year. The sulphur is easily displaced and I know that my soil in the flower beds is pH neutral when nothing is added to them.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Miniature Rose Trade
I have a fair listing of miniature and antique roses....
txaggiegirl
Grocery store minis
Since there is no lack of posts about these little...
ziyakr
It is perpetual
My neighbor, whom I've never met in a year even though...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Miniature Rose color changed?
Hi all! I bought a pink parade rose from the grocery...
gardenInTheSky
Rooting cuttings
I have been a miniature rose lover for quite some time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Sponsored Products
Gamboola Red and White 18 x 18 Nautical Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Liberty Furniture Kingston Night Stand in Hand Rubbed Cognac Finish
Beyond Stores
Essentials Down Comforter
Grandin Road
Alpine Furniture Laguna 2-Drawer Nightstand - Dark Espresso - 618-02
$229.00 | Hayneedle
Swiss Damask 310 Thread Count 600 Fill Power White Down Pillow
Overstock.com