My Dr. John Dickman's

jont1(Midwest 5b/6a)May 23, 2008

I just want to hear from some others with Dr. John Dickman roses about how big they get for you. I live in northwest Missouri zone 6a.

I have two of them. The first one I bought is now in it's third year and looks to be copying it's performance of last year. I honestly tell you that my DJD bush got over 6' tall. I am 6'2" and it was to the top of my head last year and it bloomed like crazy. I had heard that it was a stingy bloomer as well but I found that to be untrue. I counted over 35 blooms on it several times last year. This Spring it looks to be a repeat of last year as it is already over 3' tall and loaded with nice buds.

My other is starting it's second year in my garden this year and it is already about 2 1/2' tall already. I think it is going to copycat the other one.

I got both of these from Bridges, so they are own root and not on any understock. They are just naturally big of their own accord and apparently love where they are at and what I do to them. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

I didn't prune it this year, I wanted to see what it would do. It must like you very much. Mine is also 3 years in the ground. It is about 3.5' tall. Not a great bloomer, but those sparse blooms are beautiful. It might be competing heavily with the big Incognito on one side and the big Olympic Gold on the other side. I'll baby it a little more this year.

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 10:09AM
dan_keil_cr Keil(Illinois z5)

Mine is also a tall plant. Last fall it was over 5' This spring it is over 2' already.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 3:51PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

And it still hasn't bloomed, even though all of the other established minis are putting on a really good show. Sigh.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 1:32AM
moroseaz

I'm on my third Dr JD and it's been in the ground about 1 1/2 years. It's 24" tall, gets lightly pruned and is expected to get bigger within the coming year. I learned to stick it back in the bed where it gets shaded by other roses. The leaves will get some direct sun but the roots stay shaded. This rose needs to be mulched, IMO.

jont1, I'm from NWMO and will be back over the 4th. I always stop at the Laura Conyers rose garden and the Krug Park garden. LC was where I saw Marmalade Skies in full bloom and HAD to order it before it got to the nurseries.

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 2:00PM
dan_keil_cr Keil(Illinois z5)

As a side note, I bought a Memphis Blues this year and when it bloomed it looks just like Dr. John Dikeman!

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 4:10PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

I have to apologize to my plant. After being buried under Excellenz von Schubert, it came through with 15 - 20 blooms. Much better than in previous years. in the 3' tall range. Hope it does as well in time for the fall shows.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Trouble with Minis
Hi Guys, I am desperately trying to figure out what...
SoFL Rose z10
Grocery Store Minis
This is the first year to go through a spring with...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Miniature Rose Trade
I have a fair listing of miniature and antique roses....
txaggiegirl
Suggestions to plant between mini roses?
I am planting/have planted a bunch of micro minis and...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
What's wrong with this little miniature rose plant??
Hi all, My mom got this for me up in Sonoma around...
a_shau
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™