What are my cuttings doing??

No-Clue(So Cal Zone 9)November 7, 2012

A dear friend gifted me w/ 3 very important cuttings.

I left them in mulch per George's instructions for 2 weeks to callus then I potted them up on Sept. 24th.

Exactly 6 weeks later I still don't see any roots, but I think the leaves are trying to open??

The leaves range from 2-4 inches long... so still very tiny.

Why are they starting to open when I don't see any roots?

One of the 3 cuttings is slightly sunburned so the tips are black and crispy.

Anyway, what does all of this mean?? Are they rooting? Dying or what? I have never gotten this far w/ any of my cuttings... so I have no idea if this is normal? It has been cold at night so I have been taking them in at night and out during the day in the shade. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elucas101(8)

You said you potted them up...but then you said you don't "see" any roots - where are you looking for them? (You're not digging in there are you?!) LOL! The leaves opening are usually a sign they are beginning to root. Many say that once you have about 7 full sized leaves you can begin to water lightly. They're doing what they're supposed to, all good. Keep 'em warm & they will continue to do well! Great job!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 4:32PM
No-Clue(So Cal Zone 9)

LOL... I know better than digging in there. I potted them up in the clear water bottles so I can see that there are no roots.

I'm ordering a heat mat so I can leave them inside by the kitchen's bay window. Temps are cooler now so I HOPE the sun through the glass window won't burn them. I want these to root soooo badly so I can stop saying I kill cuttings! Plus these are very precious cuttings.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 4:47PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

LEAVE THEM ALONE. As long as the stems are hard, they are fine. Do not water them until the leaves get about 6-8 inches long and then water around the outside edge of the pot to encourage roots to go out looking for water. They may drop the leaves and go dormant which does not mean they are dying, but that they are going dormant. If that happens cut the water to a few ounces around the outside edge every month until leaves show in March. You will often not see roots for 8-15 weeks especially at this time of the year. :) Bill

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 6:58PM
No-Clue(So Cal Zone 9)

Hi Bill,

I only move them nightly b/c it's cold outside but then warm during the day. I have not watered them at all since I potted them up in Sept. I think once my heat pad comes and I can leave them by the bay window inside for the winter then I won't touch them again until we move. But they look ok though right?? Thanks so much! Glad to see you're on here Bill! Miss you!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 7:52PM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

bottom heat and no peaking.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
a test for Laura
Just a test to see if working, now only to remember...
rox146
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
neighbor nut
well, I guess it takes all types....we manicure our...
rox146
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
Just Purchased KALEINANI Plumeria From 1 Stop Aloha On Ebay.
Hello Gang; My 1st purchase from 1 Stop, I read good...
edzone9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™