Rose leaves bleaching or turning purple

maxine_sMay 7, 2013

About two weeks ago I repotted a supermarket miniature rose (a red Kordana) into 4 separate pots, one for each plant. They looked much happier and starting growing new leaves, but now, some of the growth is starting to look a little strange.

The leaves on top of the plant are turning white - but it's not like mildew, more like the leaves themselves are bleached. The edges of the leaves are a dark purple. Some of the oldest growth is also starting to curl up. I gave them a little fertilizer a few days ago but I can't tell if it's helping.

Has anyone seen something like this before? You can see the effect on the upper leaves in the photo, compared to the leaves on the bottom of the plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)

Posted by maxine_s 7 (My Page) on Tue, May 7, 13 at 9:01

I have the same kind of mini-rose. If the tip growth dried up, then the top level of the rose may be abandoned by the plant. The leaves will turn this color and dry up eventually.

In my case, I over fertilized my plant, it has the same appearance. I will post a picture in the other thread of mine.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:32PM
maxine_s

Very strange - I'm pretty sure the new potting soil I used didn't have any fertilizer, but I threw out the bag since then. :(

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:09AM
maxine_s

Also, thank you for the picture in your other thread. The bleaching does look similar.

We just had two days of pouring rain. I checked on all four of the little plants and they suddenly all look fantastic - the leaves greened back up practically overnight. I'm even more baffled by what the problem was. Maybe it was due to the fertilizer granules soaking in, or maybe it was due to washing it all out...

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:29AM
jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)

Posted by maxine_s none (My Page) on Thu, May 9, 13 at 8:29
Wonderful. Sharing experience among people who love the same plant is just as great as gardening itself!

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 4:05PM
rosegrowernb(zone 4B)

I would suggest that the sun is bleaching the leaves and usually the new growth is red purple whatever and will turn green. especially if the leaves were on the plant when set outdoors. the Sun . nothing to worry about will grow new leaves. :>)

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
Supermarket Minis
Once again, I am getting tempted by Supermarket Minis....
Buford_NE_GA_7A
Kordana Rose
I purchased a Kordana miniature rose plant in August....
mjreis
Chamblee's
I just received my first shipment of roses ever from...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Grocery Store Minis
This is the first year to go through a spring with...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Sport of Hot Tamale?
Hello! My Hot Tamale is new this year, own root. It...
redwolfdoc_z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™