Joshua Tree yuccas in denver?

tbone303(z5 CO)April 6, 2006

Has anybody ever seen a Joshua Tree yucca in Denver? I am think about giving one a try

Thanks

Tony

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oakiris

Hi Tony - I have never seen this growing here. I don't think it would be hardy in Denver- or elsewhere in Colorado. It tolerates Zone 7, but nothing close to the Zone 5 climate we have. Of course, maybe there is another cultivar that you are considering that is hardier! I'm certainly not an expert. I personally don't grow any Yucca because it is too painful to work around. :-D

Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: Yucca brevifolia - Joshua Tree Yucca

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 10:11AM
cpm725

I'm growing Joshua tree here in Boulder. No damage after last winter, and is growing new leaves very quickly...it's about 6 inches tall and is starting to form a trunk. I would consider Denver/Boulder as Zone 6, not Zone 5. Just because we have hit cold temperatures in the past, doesn't mean that the temperatures are going to be that extreme every winter. I would try planting a Joshua tree in Denver; you might be suprised at the results!

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 9:16PM
nrynes(6/CO)

There are also other trunk-forming yuccas that are more tolerant of cold. Check out HighCountryGardens.com and type "yucca" in the search field at the upper right of the screen. Yucca rostrata, Yucca faxoniana, Yucca brevifolia are some of the trunk-formers that are theoretically cold-hardy to Z5.

Nancy

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 1:51PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

I was just at Timberline Gardens on Sunday and I saw some of these. I was looking at other things and didn't notice if they were in pots for sale or if they were in the ground, but you might want to give them a call (ask for Kelly) and see what they can tell you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Timberline

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 3:01PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Just checked his broadleaf evergreen list and he has both Yucca rostrata, Yucca faxoniana. Ouch on the price! But the ones I saw were BIG.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 3:11PM
cpm725

Yes, nrynes is right. Check out highcountrygardens.com, that's where I got most of my plants that are growing here. They grow under similar climate and conditions in Santa Fe, NM. Basically, if the plants can grow in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, they do have a chance and will grow in Denver and sorrounding areas because we somewhat have the same kind of climate.

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 2:26AM
cactusfriend(6a NY)

I also am looking to purchase a hardy Joshua Tree, specifically Yucca brevifolia v. jaegeriana. I was going to purchase it from High Country Gardens, but it is not available right now. Does anyone know of any other sources for this plant that ship? I am definitely looking for a plant, not seed. Thanks very much! Leslie

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 11:07PM
arctictropical(Z4)

I am aware of a Joshua Tree that is at least 9-10 feet tall with several branches located in the warmer side of zone 5. It is located at Willard Bay Gardens which is north of Ogden, Utah. I spoke with the owner and it has been outside for 18 years. I've also seen Joshua Trees in several locations in Salt Lake City (probably zone 6). I Have a 1 gallon pot size Joshua Tree I am growing and I live in zone 4. After several years of keeping it inside it's going outside. We'll see what happens.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 2:26PM
davies-cc(6a)

I've killed a couple of them here in Canon City. Killed a nice two-gallon size one that I brought up from Albuquerque. Also killed the little 'brevifolia v. jaegeriana' that I got from High Country Gardens, that's supposed to be hardy to zone 5.

Not sure what the problem has been. I've got a lot of different yuccas, so I know what they need generally, but if I do try another Joshua Tree it will be down to it's last strike, so to speak. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 1:21PM
ecofloral

Call for Kelly at timberline.. agreed. If it can be grown, he would know. Another person who would know is by the name Tom Peace. He experiments with things of this nature incessantly.. Kelly could probably get you in touch with him.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 12:06AM
tride26(6)

sorry to bump such an old thread...but the smaller joshua tree variety called yYucca brevifolia v. jaegeriana is very hardy in denver.
i know because i have one that won't stop growing.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 11:59AM
idahocactus

Not sure if the Joshua Tree yucca would survive in Denver, although there a nice specimans in Salt Lake City, Reno, and even Boise. They typically need excellent drainage, up on at least 2 - 3 foot berms, and can survive and thrive in desert climates with temps much below zero. There are many large Joshua trees in the area of Caliente, NV, where the temps regularly go into the below zero range. And I personally have several growing here in the Boise area --- some for more than 20 years.

I have included a photo of a nice sized Joshua tree that has been growing in this particular yard for over 20 years. It was about 3 feet tall when planted.

Bookmark   February 5, 2015 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
Eating my Poppies
I know, poppies are supposed to be one of those plants...
blueiris24
Greenhouse, metal roof?
Hi, I'm in Victor, ID at 6500'. My husband is building...
ladypant
Raspberry variety advice
I want to plant one of my sunniest garden beds to Raspberrys....
eatsivy
Howdy from Montana
Howdy to all you Rocky Mountain folks. . . I cant believe...
maidinmontana
Sponsored Products
Sunpan Joshua Revolving Mirror and Bookshelf
Overstock.com
Joshua Blossom Chocolate Rectangular: 3 Ft 9 In x 5 Ft 9 In Rug
$229.00 | Bellacor
Joshua Blossom Sand Rectangular: 3 Ft 9 In x 5 Ft 9 In Rug
$229.00 | Bellacor
Joshua Polished Steel Two-Light Table Lamp with Off-White Fabric Shade
$165.00 | Bellacor
Lite Source Joshua 2-light Table Lamp
Overstock.com