Will the Cannas I planted yesterday survive?

jillybillyg(5)April 26, 2008

Hi everyone,

It's snowing here in Longmont. :( Will the Cannas I planted yesterday live through tonights cold weather?

JJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

NOAA shows you down to 25 overnite, JJ. Are the canas in the ground rather than a pot? If so, I recommend putting corrugated cardboard boxes over them and covering it with plastic to keep them dry so they donÂt collapse. Canas freeze pretty easily, and I wouldnÂt trust them to be ok with no protection at all. Radar isnÂt showing very much, so the snow probably wonÂt last long, but I definitely would find a way to insulate them and the soil around them overnite.

Send some of the snow down Thornton way! The sunÂs trying to come out!
Skybird

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 2:02PM
jillybillyg(5)

I actually just planted the rhizomes. They are still underground. Do you think I should put something on top of the ground?

It did snow for just a little bit today, turned out to be nothing. Just overcast now.

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 3:54PM

Yeah! That's what I meant for you to cover! They might be ok, but, in my experience, they freeze, or at least get damaged, very quickly, and if it were me, I'd play it safe in this case. Anything that will ensure the soil around it stays above freezing will be ok. Corrugated boxes are really good insulation if you have any around---and if it looks like the snow is over with, they wouldn't need to be covered with plastic.

I finally got 10 flakes of snow down here too!
Skybird

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 4:41PM
jillybillyg(5)

Thanks Skybird,
I will cover them tonight. Glad to hear you got at least 10 flakes. Isn't the weather weird today? Hoping you have a fabulous week of gardening ahead. JJ

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 5:27PM
stevation(z5a Utah)

Around here, the general rule is to wait until Mother's Day to plant anything tender, and I think Cannas should be treated the same way. You could probably cheat a week or so, since they're just the rhizomes, but my instinct is to not push it this early with something as tender as Cannas. But then again, I've never grown them!

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 12:40AM
More Discussions
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
Spring Swap
Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters...
gjmancini
RMG - How do I do it -- Where do I find it thread!
Hi all, I just thought I'd start a thread here for...
Great Backyard Bird Count - 2015
Great Backyard Bird Count - Cornell Hi all, It’s...
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™