Okay to trim branches now?

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)November 10, 2013

Hi, I am in a zone 9a where it can freeze hard a few times in the winer. I usually put all my plummies in a greenhouse for the winter so I can run heat if I need to on cold nights when it gets below freezing .

This year they aren't going to fit. Some are higher than the center 10ft roof even if I sunk the pots in the ground inside the gh. They are also spread out 8ft wide on some plants which will take up way too much space.

Is it okay to go ahead and trim back some branches now? Will I end up with a lot of dieback?
I guess I should of done it earlier but most had flowers so I couldn't make myself do it lol.
SJN

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

I have found they can be cut anytime of the year. I have them break off by themselves and just stuck them into more soil with no problems. The only problem I have had was when I watered a cutting before it started to put on leaves and the bottom started to rot so I just cut that part of the end off and let it set in the same soil without watering for a good while. If you have some dry potting soil they do good when the cut in is put into a dry compost or soil as it helps the end to heal better.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 10:21PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Thanks. I was kinda freaking out a little bit because when usually cut them back (which hasn't been enough) it is in spring and they have time to heal and grow more branches on the trees before the colder weather and dormancy sets in. I don't think I will have a choice with these and will have to get them trimmed back enough at least a few inches under the roof line. Not looking forward to it lol.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 11:05AM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Hi Lenette!, so nice to see you post on this forum. Barbra

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 4:04PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

You were my secret santa on the brugmansaia forum, many years ago, in case you don't remember. Barbra

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 6:31PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Hi Barbra. So nice to see you too. (((HUGS))) Of course I remember you lol. I just didn't get back to this forum in time to see your post. Do you still grow brugmansias? I have way more of them than plumeria due to lack of storage space for the plummies in the winter here but I am working on it lol.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 14:38

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 2:37PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Yes, I do still grow them, but only a couple do well for me New Orleans Lady and Daydreams, I been wanting to get Honeymoon, but have been sinking all my money into buying plumeria. Honeymoon did really well for Chocolate Brug, so I put it on my want list, maybe next year, after I thin out my plumeria. Barbra

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
a test for Laura
Just a test to see if working, now only to remember...
rox146
Plumeria plunging question
Never grown Plumerias before but just ordered 4- 5gallon...
gnafziger9
Inflo from last summer now producing multiple tips!
Hello guys and gals! I have a little situation on my...
Andrew Scott
Just Purchased KALEINANI Plumeria From 1 Stop Aloha On Ebay.
Hello Gang; My 1st purchase from 1 Stop, I read good...
edzone9
Back from the dead.
I'm back. After giving up on this site, they contacted...
tdogdad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™