Rosa banksia white

hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)March 30, 2010

Hi all,

My Banks rose is in bloom- at least, one of the roses here is a Banks rose, I don't know what the other one is, it came mixed in the same pot with the Banks.

My little automatic camera won't do much better than this.

Renee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

That looks so beautiful and romantic! What I can see of the rest of your garden is equally gorgeous. I do hope you'll be posting more pictures.

R. fortuniana is often mistaken for R. banksia, and I once bought R. fortuniana even though it was labeled R. banksia. If you look at fortuniana at HMFR you might be able to determine if that's the rose you have in addition to banksia. I actually like fortuniana better, but to have both would be neat.

Ingrid

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 12:51AM
supaflyz

Looks amazing nice rose.

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 1:10AM
dove_song(WA State Z6b)

Yeah, Supaflyz, it looks AMAZING. And like Ingrid said, " it looks so beautiful and romantic!"

Thanks, Renee!! :)

Debbie

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 1:28AM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Does all of THAT come from that little container!!?? :)

Wow!!

Does it have wonderful perfume that wafts everywhere? - she asked enviously. LOL

Carol

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 1:14AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Carol- it smells just divine. I open the four windows of the living room and just breathe it in.

Ingrid, I think it might be fortuniana but HMF says it is nearly thornless, and this little white rose is a terror.

Thanks for your kind words. I wish my camera would do better.

I'll try to get a photo of the banks roses down the street covering my neighbor's post fence. He has the prettiest house on the block, and the yard is filled with white banks and Iceberg roses.

Renee

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 1:46AM
serenasyh(was 5/now Z 8-Kans)

Gorgeous Renee! Hmmm, if it's a very thorny terror, that's doubly confusing. Both Fortuniana and Rosa Banksiae are supposed to be "thornless". Usually the yellow version of Rosa Banksiae is predominantly shown, but the white version is especially popular in England. There is a very thorny version of white Rosa Banksiae but it is in single petal formation, not the double form, so maybe you got the thorny sport strain, lol!

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 9:36AM
gad4au_gmail_com

Will this rose thrive in a large pot?

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 2:10PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

So gorgeous!!

If this reblooms, it looks and sounds like a lady banks hybrid I grow called 'Purezza'. From what I can see, those are the same leaves :) And yes, she has enough thorns to snare a few folks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Purezza on HMF

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 10:14PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

Georgia Dougherty,

I don't know if this helps, but my Purezza is pretty rampant in my garden. She looks very pretty pruned smaller, and she blooms fine smaller, but you'd have to root prune (annually?) to keep her in any pot.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Name that rose game!
I know we already have a whole thread dedicated to...
kublakan
Roses "Q"
Not many in this one... QUAKER STAR QUEEN NEFERTITI QUEEN...
bethnorcal9
Name that Rose Game! Part 2
Here goes. Thanks Sara for suggesting we keep this...
kublakan
Broceliande bloom!
Brocielande blooming indoors last March before I got...
nummykitchen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™