Whats wrong with this tree?

sbrow156(Cairns QLD Australia)November 25, 2012

Hi Everyone. So i decided to get another clipping from the pink tree down the road from my mums place as she is starting a plummie collection now too and wants me to root some for her. haha i converted her lol. Anyway when i went to get it all the branches were squishy and i was looking for a good hard one and couldnt find one. I ended up giving up and just taking a cutting anyway but the inside of the cutting is hollow and i dont know what seems to be wrong with the tree. It wasnt like that when i took my original cutting a few weeks ago. It was hard and full like any normal cutting. Also the outside of the branches were all liney looking (see pic) almost shrivelled looking. i have the cutting drying out beforeut it in soil to root and it has gone abit harder but still is hollow inside so i dont know if it will root or not. we havnt had too much rain lately as it is a tree in someones front yard on a rental house n i dont think they water their garden. what do you think could be wrong with the tree?

Sarah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbrow156(Cairns QLD Australia)

liney

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 6:51PM
DelWH

Offhand, I'd say the tree is drying out and is in dire need of water. The shriveling is due to dehydration.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:56PM

and the hollowness and squichyness of the branches? also from dehydration? i did concider that...either that or it may be rotting?

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:58PM
DelWH

If you stick a pin in it, does it bleed white sap? Or black? White is good,black is rot. If it's severely dehydrated, there may not be anything that comes out.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 3:05AM

If it's a big enough hole it's white sap the hole a pin makes doesn't make any sap come out :/

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 4:04AM
jandey1(TX8)

Very dehydrated, not optimal for a viable cutting. :( Sarah, you can try water rooting it. That may be your best bet, and try to cut the bottom clean and straight across before you begin.

Dry out the end for several days, then place in a plastic cup of water indoors until you see "popcorn" on the stem, no more than three weeks. Then pot into moist soil and keep it damp.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 9:22AM
houstontexas123(z9a)

looks dehydrated.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 3:17PM

I did try water rooting the last cutting from this tree (back when it was ok) and it began to rot so I cut it back and now have it in soil. I will attempt wAtet rooting again coz it's dehydrated n see how it goes. Why indoor for water rooting? Not outdoors undercover wit filtered sun?

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
New Plumeria Collector.
Hello Gang; New The Forum , I Have And Hope To Learn...
edzone9
Length of dormancy....
Greetings! I have two grafted plumeria, Celadine and...
scott_madison
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
a test for Laura
Just a test to see if working, now only to remember...
rox146
Inflo from last summer now producing multiple tips!
Hello guys and gals! I have a little situation on my...
Andrew Scott
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™