Miniature Tree Roses

ldhigleyMay 18, 2008

Hi:

I just bought a miniature tree rose. It will only grow to about 36-48 inches high. I planned on putting it in a container on my patio, but my neighbor says I should put it in the ground. I had been thinking of doing that but was not sure what kind of winter protection it would need for a southern Wisconsin winter if I did put it in the ground. Does anyone have experience with tree roses in northern climates and what protection they need for the colder months?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayli-gardener

I'm sure that in your climate, your mini standard will require some winter protection. You could keep it in the container and sink the container into the ground for the growing season. When it starts to freeze, you will need to move your tree into an unheated building or contrive some way to protect the graft union (where the rose variety was budded onto the root stock stem) which is the vulnerable part of any grafted rose.

All of my tree roses are grown in pots which are winter protected in an unheated garage, where they are moved outdoors in late winter when danger of a freeze has past.

If you experience prolonged freezing temperatures where you live, your tree will definitely require some winter protection.

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Help!
I bought a mini rose for a bridal shower gift at walmart....
suyoder
Help with ID of grocery store mini (pics)
I saw these two minis at the grocery store for $3.99...
gardennatlanta
Size of pot
I asked this on the main Rose forum but thought I'd...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
source for raplh moore/sequoia mini rose blue mist
hi, does anyone know where I can get this rose? It...
Boca_Joe(zone 7A)
What's wrong with this little miniature rose plant??
Hi all, My mom got this for me up in Sonoma around...
a_shau
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™