Newbie w/Rainbow's End!

jules7ky(z6KY)May 25, 2005

Hello, everyone! Today, I was just given a "Rainbow's End" rose, and a little surfing tells me it's a miniature. I've never really been a rose person, but I think I'm in love with this critter. No two blooms are the same color, and it even has a light fragrance (even tho the sites I've found say it shouldn't!)

I tried searching the GardenWeb for postings on this one, but the search engine seems to be down.

Any hints on habits or care for this particular cutie? Any specific disease/pest problems? I'd love to use the flowers in a bath-herb blend, so I'd rather not spray if I don't have to.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

It is not disease resistant, and will get blackspot.

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 11:12AM
helmut_ii(z9 Houston, Tx)

You are going to really enjoy this rose, but I'm afraid Diane is right.
In order to get the most out of this rose you may have to spray. I find that the effort to keep this clean is well rewarded.
Helmut

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow's End

Bookmark   May 27, 2005 at 3:36PM
Maryl zone 7a

One of my favorite roses. Excellent container rose with a nice rounded decorative bush shape. Blooms exceptionally well in the spring and fall. In my garden it has the good sense not to bloom as much in the middle of summer when I would have to go out in the inferno to deadhead. Suites me just fine. Only in the movies does one see faultless rose petals scattered around. In real life most roses need to be sprayed if you are in an area with a long growing season (such as Kentucky). I do spray, but must say that my Rainbow's End (placed in an area with excellent wind circulation and far removed from other blackspotters) does not seem particularly prone to B.S. if I happen to miss spraying it occasionally.

Bookmark   May 28, 2005 at 10:11PM
tenor_peggy(10 FL, N. Fort Myers)

I love the flowers of this rose. I even won my only Mini Queen with it several years ago. Unfortunately I could not control blackspot :-( so I replaced it with Hot Tamale and that rose is doing much better (I spray with fungicides too).

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 6:31PM
Maryl zone 7a

Now that just goes to show you. I had Hot Tamale and Rainbow's End side by side in containers. Their colors are fairly similar. Hot Tamale was one of the first to blackspot for me, while Rainbow's End remained her usual clean self. Both received equal spray treatments, water, etc. In my case I said goodbye to Hot Tamale and kept Rainbow's End. Maybe we have different strains of B.S. or maybe that's just life in the rose world.

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 10:16PM
Leemac_z5_Ma(z5 ma)

I have both Rainbows end and cl. Rainbows end I find the climber has less blackspot! I do spray but got a bit sloppy last year. I haven't started spraying yet this year and the reg. R. E. is getting spotty ,while the climber looks fine!
Lee

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Rooting cuttings
I have been a miniature rose lover for quite some time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Chamblee's
I just received my first shipment of roses ever from...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
dan_keil_cr
You have lovely collection of many types of roses....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
mini and pineapple love each other.
My pineapple houseplant was getting too big so I put...
Wild Haired Mavens
Mini roses successfully kept indoors over winter
Ok, finally, I got some time. The pictures were taken...
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™