Got my first Miniature Rose today

rosesnpots(z8 Tidewater area VA)May 18, 2008

I grown english shrub roses. However today I went to my local rose society meeting for then first time and they were offering minis at a price to good to pass up so I bought Edisto. I potted her in a 14" pot for now until she gets a little bigger and then she will go into a 20". I would like to put her on my front porch but it gets full afternoon sun. My question is can she take full afternoon sun in zone 8?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cuyahogakid(z6 Ohio)

Hi rosenpots,
I always place my roses to get at least 5 or six hours of full sun. On very sunny days, after they have moved into the shade, I rinse off the foliage. The cool shower really brings them back. Washing the leaves removes dust/dirt, pollution, bugs, and mold spores. Try to never wet rose leaves in the hot sun; they may burn. No chemical sprays here; the only thing I will ever spray on a rose is water. I also know that light colored pots are popular in hot zones.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 8:09AM
rosesnpots(z8 Tidewater area VA)

Hi cuyahogakid

Thanks for the information. I do not use chemical sprays, only natural products. I learned the hard way last year about spraying in full sun and I will never do that again. I can't wait until I get blooms and see what she is realy like and some times pictures do not show true color.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 8:05PM
lesdvs9

I'm much hotter than you but I have it planted in the ground in full all day sun and it's doing fine:)

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 1:36PM
rosesnpots(z8 Tidewater area VA)

Thank you for letting me know. It is still a lttle thing so I will continue to keep it where it is and this winter transplant it into the bigger pot.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
Size of pot
I asked this on the main Rose forum but thought I'd...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Help!
I bought a mini rose for a bridal shower gift at walmart....
suyoder
Suggestions to plant between mini roses?
I am planting/have planted a bunch of micro minis and...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Big Pots
Last evening my husband came home with some pots he...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Grocery store minis
Since there is no lack of posts about these little...
ziyakr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™