roses and asprin

caraskikiMay 7, 2008

i have been told that if i put an asprin in the water that i am giving my roses it will help them grow, i am wondering if this is advice i can follow since my roses are have been transplanted to a bigger pot and they are already doing better than what they were three weeks ago.

if anyone knows the answer please respond

thanks

kiki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gilli2007(5)

Hmmmm. I've heard of putting an asprin in the water for cut roses in a vase but never heard of watering with asprin.

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 7:18PM
thestrangeangel

if you try it out let us know
im tempted to try on one of my many minis just to see the results. Im a bit iffy though, im scared it might kill it

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 10:54PM
kayli-gardener

I think that the idea of using aspirin is that it will boost the imumune system of the plant, which will help during periods of stress and pests attacks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aspirin for Roses

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 4:45PM
caraskiki

I used the Asprin on them, they are still doing great. i think as long as we do not do it everytime we water them it will be alright.

next thing i need to know is how to take care of dormant minis so that they will bloom again next year.

Bookmark   May 18, 2008 at 6:32PM
kayli-gardener

The miniature roses I have in containers are over wintered in my garage. Years ago, when I didn't have indoor space, I dug a hole in the garden soil and dropped the container into the hole, then covered over with a little soil. The roses always survived without any problems. But, it depends on what degree of winter protection your climate zone dictates. If you're a warmer zone, you may not need to go to extreme measures to hold them through winter.

Before my pots are stored in my UNHEATED garage, I spray them soundly with lime sulphur dormant oil cocoction, and so far I'm only bothered slightly with a few aphids before they are retrieved in spring, by which time they have usually leafed out. They are then kept under cover - the house overhang until it is safe to put them out in the elements.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Rooting cuttings
I have been a miniature rose lover for quite some time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Source for minis
What is the current favorite source for the miniatures?...
barb_roselover_in
Size of pot
I asked this on the main Rose forum but thought I'd...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Grocery store minis
Since there is no lack of posts about these little...
ziyakr
Miniature Rose Trade
I have a fair listing of miniature and antique roses....
txaggiegirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™