My first mini rose??

gardenbug(8b)May 9, 2013

I just purchased a mini rose and would like to plant it in a container outside. What size container do I need please? Do you take care of these roses the same as any other rose? Thanks again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Yes, they're just like their big sisters for care. The pot should be good sized. Mini plants can get as large as the big ones sometimes depending on the variety. I'd say a 15 gallon pot with lots of drainage holes and good quality potting soil.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 8:22AM
gardenbug(8b)

Hi seil. Thanks very much for your reply. Okay, so a 15 gal pot would be about what size in inches? I've got a ceramic pot about 16"x15" is that too small for a miniature rose? If it is too small, could I plant it in there now and later if necessary replant it into a larger pot?

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 7:06PM
seil zone 6b MI

That would be fine. Generally I have to repot eventually anyway because they get root bound. When that happens I take them out of the pots and trim the root balls by about half and repot them with fresh soil.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 3:57PM
gardenbug(8b)

Thank you Seil for all your help. I really appreciate you for helping me with my mini-rose. I just purchased 3 more to plant in front of my peach roses. The one's I got are called 'carrot top'

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Big Pots
Last evening my husband came home with some pots he...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Help!
I bought a mini rose for a bridal shower gift at walmart....
suyoder
Is this just transplant shock?
Hello, I got these from trader joes last week. They...
jakrat85
supermarket mini bought on the wrong day
My apologies if this topic has been discussed before...
Jenny
How to deal with black spots
My mini-roses seem to be very vulnerable to black spots....
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™