How late can you start cuttings?

labland(Inland Valley CA9)November 1, 2010

Bill, this question is probably for you, but I welcome ALL input. I live in the inland valley, I think it is warmer than where you live, generally, but drier. I went over to Upland Nursery today to look at their plumerias. I had to take a dog to my vet in Yorba Linda, so while I was relatively close by, I decided to stop by.

Lots of plants. Now after seeing their plants, I can see why people graft. They had trees with 5 colors grafted to one tree, with a VERY hefty price of over $500. I wish I could justify that but oh well.

I was hoping to find some cheaper plants, but wasn't particularly impressed with the cheaper trees, to justify buying rooted, vs ordering some cuttings. It seemed a lot of the trees were fairly tall before they branched, and I was concerned on how well they would mature. I didn't have room in my truck, so I didn't end up buying any.

To my question. How late would you order cuttings, i.e. from Jim Little or even Upland Nursery. Or am I better off waiting until March to order any? Unless I can get my sister to bring me some from Hawaii next month when she visits, but she lives in Oahu, and I would like to get known colors, rather than her bringing cuttings from more unknowns.

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Now is very late to start cuttings unless you have a greenhouse and lights. I tend to buy in the spring because the cuttings are fresh and the weather is warming up to allow rooting to occur. Contact me by e-mail (from my page) and I can help you out. Bill

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
Are you Oklahoma boys okay?
Been watching the weather out your way. Mike, Robert,...
moonie_57
Frangipani Fading?
So 3 of my frangipani's are doing this badly on the...
archades
Florida Plumeria Sale dates ?
Any Florida Plumeria Society Sale Dates & Location...
edzone9
1st Plumie Drama of the Season
It's unbelievable how early the season has started...
freak4plumeria
question about waxing cuttings
do i have to wait for them to harden off like normal...
kingbingo
Sponsored Products
BeanSack Big Joe Milano Faux Fur Bean Bag Chair
Overstock.com
Pop-Up Trash Bin
$14.99 | zulily
Links Indoor/Outdoor Rug 8'3" x 11'6" - BROWN
$779.00 | Horchow
Red Cedar Adirondack Footrest
Fifthroom.com
Foremost Shower Enclosures Marina 56 in. to 60 in. x 76 in. H. Frameless
Home Depot