Triple Treat

kittymoonbeamApril 25, 2013

Three favorite fragrance roses sharing a spot on the counter
Abe Darby
Sonia Rykiel
Jude the Obscure
All of these have a sweet perfume with a fruit accent. The other day I smelled a distinct clove smell from one of my Abes. I don't ever recall that before. It was very strong like a bag of whole cloves. It was just the one flower. These roses are so changeable in both color and scent.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inga007(Ont. 6a)

I love "cabbage-head" roses. Most of them smell so good, I put my nose right in them. ( watching out for bees)

Bookmark   December 2, 0002 at 12:07AM
inga007(Ont. 6a)

I love "cabbage-head" roses. Most of them smell so good, I put my nose right in them. ( watching out for bees)

inga007(Ont. 6a)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

What a luscious trio! The colors and shapes blend together so well. It's so gratifying to pick roses for the house, especially when they're as beautiful as this.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 5:21PM
dove_song(WA State Z6b)

Really love this photo, Kitty! Very calming and romantic. I have never detected a clove fragrance on Abe. And clove is my absolute favorite fragrance in a rose. Wow, your experiencing an intensely powerful clove scent on just one of your Abe's blooms...what a treat for you! :)

This post was edited by dove_song on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 3:05

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 10:39PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Lovely shape on Jude. I've wanted this rose off and on. Does yours grow the same size as your Abraham Darby? TIA

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 11:34PM
seil zone 6b MI

Oh I bet they smell as wonderful as they look!

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 6:39PM
kittymoonbeam

Jude is still young so I can't say. One of my Abes is more upright and arching with fewer, thicker canes( the one on Dr. Huey ) and the own root Abe is lower and more spreading with more canes. I tied my Jude up on a tomato ladder so he could get to the sun until he builds up some stronger canes. He was a one cane wonder until this year when he grew 2 new big basal canes and they are stronger and only need a few light ties to keep them from blowing in the wind. The oldest cane branched quite a bit at the top and is providing all the flowers. Molineux told me I had to get this rose just for the fragrance and I'm glad I did. Some people say it smells like white wine and guava. I don't know about that but I think it smells like rosy and fruit scents. Always sweet and delicious and when I give it to people to smell, everyone really likes it. For me it will be a big rose over 5 feet by July.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Stuff bloomin' today..
The buds and blooms are coming on pretty quickly now......
bethnorcal9
Roses "I"
I was surprised at how many "I" roses I actually...
bethnorcal9
Roses "X, Y, Z"
Ok this is it. Done for another season! Next... on...
bethnorcal9
Supermarket Roses
Not that these aren't beautiful, I would just rather...
sara_ann-z6bok
For the love of prickle
I love roses for more than just the flowers. First...
Karl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™