Pruning Mini Roses

brian6464(4a)June 18, 2014

I have a very unruly Rose bush next to my house that I would like to prune back since I am getting my house painted this week.

This bush is at least 10 years old and it over 6 feet tall with 95% of the new growth at the top, which makes it very top heavy when blooming. It is basically falling over into the yard with the weight of the blooms.

If I prune it down about 50%, will this kill it??

I'll post pic once I get home.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Have you done any pruning on this rose before? Do you know what type of rose it is? Pictures would definitely help.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 2:58PM
brian6464(4a)

I have only pruned out old dead shoots. Sorry for the pic quality. My wife sent it to me as too small of a pic and the resizing makes it blurry but you get the point. It is between 5 and 7 feet tall depending and the shoot/branch and obviously very top heavy. I currently leans several feet out into the yard and has been run into several times (ouch!).

If I prune this back to 3 to 4 feet and only the strongest shoots, will it generate new buds below my prune line?

Seems that almost all new growth is currently in the 4 to 6 foot range. There is no new growth for the first couple of feet.

What do I do with this bush? Thanks.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 10:31PM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

Cut everything down to hip high. It'll come back with a lot of new growth and blooms and should fill out to make a nice shrub that has foliage from top to bottom. Give it a LITTLE (hand full scattered around the bush) fertilizer, water it in and watch what happens.

Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 2:01PM
seil zone 6b MI

It could be a climber and those naturally tend to have that growth pattern. They drop their bottom leaves in order to send food to the top where the blooms are. The other reason it it could be growing so tall and lanky is because it's trying to get light. Roses need 6 to 8 hours of sunlight a day to grow and bloom properly. You can try and prune it back but it may not grow anything new from those bare canes. It's hard to say. Severely pruning it like that could kill it.

Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
Size of pot
I asked this on the main Rose forum but thought I'd...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Grocery Store Minis
This is the first year to go through a spring with...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
How to deal with black spots
My mini-roses seem to be very vulnerable to black spots....
jujujojo_gw
Supermarket Minis
Once again, I am getting tempted by Supermarket Minis....
Buford_NE_GA_7A
Sport of Hot Tamale?
Hello! My Hot Tamale is new this year, own root. It...
redwolfdoc_z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™