mystery mini...need help identifying...

serenasyh(was 5/now Z 8-Kans)June 12, 2009

Hi, I found an abandoned stray rose in my new home with blackened, yucky exposed possible root graft with cane stumps of 3/4" diameter, and was 100% sure that it would be Dr. Huey when I saw brand new thin canes coming up from the ground and not the stumps, with short small flower buds on it ... Well when it started to bloom much to my shock, instead of the dark wine red of Dr. Huey I found a brilliant red reverse tiny bloom that had wayyyyy too many petals on it to be Dr. Huey... 30 petals and barely 2.5" in diameter.

Jerijen from the rose forum helped identify my mystery rose as a Modern Miniature rose... I have spent hours already, googling trying to find out what it is...Can you all help me? I still consider this rose "red" because it is such a vivid intense color but it does have a deep pink undertone to it. As tiny as it is you can spot it several feet away because the color is so bright...

Here are closeup pictures of it...

It has very pale, silver reverse petals, the white eye (once it's just past its full bloom and is fully exposed) and the very! bright yellow stamens...

Bird plucked out blossom for insects so the fallen flower is missing about 5 or 6 petals...

Everyone's help would be so appreciated...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joebar(pnw8)

is it a climber? i have a mini climber called gloriana 97 which seems very similar. this one has a sweet scent too. if it is, its a keeper.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 2:25AM
gardenlover25

I have found one from the web, the link is attached to see if this matched the rose you have found. Hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Rouletii

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 3:46AM
serenasyh(was 5/now Z 8-Kans)

Joebar, wow, mine does! indeed look like Gloriana 97, and has the same crazy long stem shape branches as Gloriana 97, but alas, what knocked mine out of the loop was its plasticy, yuck scent... Gloriana is supposed to have a nice mild fragrance... Yours has fragrance, right?

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Help!
I bought a mini rose for a bridal shower gift at walmart....
suyoder
mini and pineapple love each other.
My pineapple houseplant was getting too big so I put...
Wild Haired Mavens
Chamblee's
I just received my first shipment of roses ever from...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Grocery store minis
Since there is no lack of posts about these little...
ziyakr
Supermarket Minis
Once again, I am getting tempted by Supermarket Minis....
Buford_NE_GA_7A
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™