Purple Serrano less hot than regular Serrano?

sunnibel7 Md 7(7)September 10, 2012

Greetings, chiliphiles. I have finally had a good chance to try out all my different peppers this year and I really like my purple serranos (thanks, Bill!) I was wondering if they are typically as hot as regular serranos, just because mine seem really mild, milder than my Jalapeno Ms. Which is fine, I really like the flavor, though my husband says he likes more bite. Just thinking about next year a little bit already. Cheers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
romy6(9)

From my limited experience with purple varieties they are always milder.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 12:58PM
ottawapepper

Yes, the Purple Serrano are quite mild. Like you mentioned, they have a nice flavor with a warm (not biting) heat.

Last year when making poppers, I used them for for folks who didn't like a lot of heat. I laced other Purple Serranos with White Habs in the stuffing for those who wanted more of a bite ;-))

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 7:18PM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Cool, good to know! Next to save some seeds I think...

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 9:26PM
kuvaszlvr

OK, now I am really confused. I planned to grow them next year and had been searching the web for info on them, and everything I found said their scoville was 8,000-22,000. Regular serranos are supposed to be 6,000-23,000. Soooo, Like I said, I'm confused.
Pam

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 8:34AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Hmmm, maybe different strains with the same name? I got my seeds from Ottawapepper so he and I are talking about the exact same peppers. Anyway, nice flavor which I liked for poppers even a little better than jalapenos which I also liked quite well. Cheers!

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 12:23PM
romy6(9)

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. (LOL) Especially scoville ratings:)

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 12:55PM
kuvaszlvr

Wait just a darn minute... You're telling me that might not be Johnny Depp I've been corresponding with? OH, you LIE!

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 2:18PM
ottawapepper

kuvaszlvr, I have of course tasted the purples from my seed but, I've also sampled some purple pods a friend grew from a different seed source. Both were mild. Not sayin there ain't a hot strain out there. If you find a hot one, I'd be interested ;-)

Bill

p.s. You sure you're not corresponding with Johnny Deep? Just askin.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 7:35PM
kuvaszlvr

LMAO! Bill you crack me up!

This is where I am getting my seeds, I'll let you know (if I remember next year, that's a long way away) what I think of the heat level. - also, this isn't the place that had the scoville.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/PURPLE-SERRANO/productinfo/9723/

this is where I saw the scoville, haha, they decrease in scoville as you go down the list.... sheesh!

http://www.pepperseeds.eu/purple-serrano.html
http://www.pimentasonline.com/en/pimenta/Serrano-Purple-Serrano-Purple-Chili-Pepper
http://www.typesofhotpeppers.com/scoville-3500-10000/purple-serrano-hot-pepper/

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Seed question
I have been very curious about this matter. I planted...
tomyres
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Another Forum Suggestion?
What is another forum that we can migrate to? This...
jtight
Removing aphids from seedlings?
This is the first year I've had this problem. My seedlings...
bella_trix
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™