Non-fading rose suggestions please.

seattlebalconyJune 18, 2008

I am on the 10th floor with a full western exposure to Puget Sound. The miniatures I planted this spring are all doing terrific except that the colors fade very quickly due to the high amount of sun, on the few days we have had sun. Happy Thoughts, faded the quickest, from a pretty orange and yellow to a pale yellow, almost white color.

Can you experts out there suggest some roses in similar colors as Happy Thoughts that will not fade so quickly?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
echinaceamaniac(7)

There is one called Tulsa Town. It doesn't fade for me. It has the yellow and orange colors.

I have been most impressed; however, with one named "Best of 04." Even when the blooms are dry, they still hold their color. They have a beautiful combination of colors! Check them out at the link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Best of 04

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 7:48PM
gilli2007(5)

If you like a clear yellow, Sun Sprinkles is great. Our summers are very hot and the rose is in full sun. It doesn't fade at all except when the blooms are just ready to drop. Then I just prune them off. A great performer. Never stops blooming.

Gilli

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 1:08PM
seattlebalcony

Thank you both for your suggestions. I like both Sun Sprinkles and Best of 2004. I will definitely put both of them on my list, maybe I will order them today!

Gardening on a city balcony certainly has its downsides, the window washers broke off some stems that were ready to bloom. They wash the windows while hanging from a rope from the roof of the building. I moved all the pots inside that I could but I have two larger pots that I cannot lift. Maybe next time the windows are due for washing, I will tie the stems together.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 2:44PM
trospero(8)

'Cal Poly' also holds its clear yellow coloring very well, in my experience.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Rooting cuttings
I have been a miniature rose lover for quite some time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Size of pot
I asked this on the main Rose forum but thought I'd...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Sport of Hot Tamale?
Hello! My Hot Tamale is new this year, own root. It...
redwolfdoc_z5
Grocery Store Minis
This is the first year to go through a spring with...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Supermarket Minis
Once again, I am getting tempted by Supermarket Minis....
Buford_NE_GA_7A
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™