Grocery store minis

ziyakr(6)June 25, 2014

Since there is no lack of posts about these little roses, and great advice about saving them, I thought I would post of pics of what I've done with my rescued mini-roses. This bed is 4'x5' and is now the home of 12 small bushes (10 of which I think will survive) plus 4 lavenders and 8 perennial dianthus. The minis were all supposed to be red or red/white striped but a random pink got in there (in bloom now). The big rock will someday be home to a fountain I am building.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ziyakr(6)

A close up of the stripey minis...so cute!

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 9:14PM
Tommyotommy

I have 10 miniatures I got from the grocery store. They were all much nicer than the ones I've seen at the nurseries. I have mine in pots though.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 11:45PM
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)

Very pretty setup! I have a few stripped minis but they look a bit different. I absolutely love mini rose bushes.

I have never purchased any minis from the grocery store. I got most of my minis this year from earl may and menards. I will have to keep my eyes open at the grocery store now!

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 12:15PM
seil zone 6b MI

They look healthy! Nice job!

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 6:17PM
ziyakr(6)

The bed is doing great, so I thought I would post an updated picture.

1 Like    Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 4:09PM
Tommyotommy

Wow they look a lot better than mine in all this heat. Great

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 7:13PM
christine1950

Looks great, nice job !!!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:57AM
sanrosa(5)

Lovely! I do like your bed and it will look stunning with a fountain in the middle.
I adore my grocery-store minis. I have several that are more than a decade old blooming vigorously -- they are some of my most rewarding garden plants! You can see some of these ancient specimens on the right lining the front walk behind the yarrow.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 5:39PM
ziyakr(6)

Tommy, we have been lucky this year...it's the coolest summer I've seen since moving here from N Wisconsin in the late 80s.

SanRosa, that is a truely lovely photo! Love how the beds step back all the way to the fence and the hollyhocks everywhere.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 4:56PM
sanrosa(5)

Thank you.
The hollyhocks are pesky but charming -- as long as I get them up before they get seedy and weedy. Quite a chore!

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 8:18PM
ziyakr(6)

Just because it's pretty, here is one more of a perfect fall spray. We're planning on moving before spring, but have permission to come back and move any plants after, and this rose is def coming with!

Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 3:51PM
Tommyotommy

Beautiful roses and foliage. Our heat in south Louisiana has been subsiding lately so I hope I have some pics worthy of sharing soon haha. Beautiful again ziyakr. Off now to try and get more of my ground ready for my fall vegetable planting.

Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 7:32PM
emrogers

wow! these are great pics. Very promising given that I just bought a mini at WalMart on Valentine's day. :)

Bookmark   February 16, 2015 at 6:36PM
fiddletownfloey

Walking through Walmart garden center yesterday the only thing there were some very sorry looking leftover V-day minis crying out for a home or at least a loving environment in which to spend their last days on earth. For .94 each ... I bought all 5. After a very careful trim and clean up they actually look MUCH better than expected. Also, turns out there are 6 plants in each pot. From what I have read here and elsewhere I can separate, repot them and eventually plant in the ground. If any survive what a bargain. Funny thing, they came in really nice glass containers ... that's what I was really buying.

1 Like    Bookmark   last Thursday at 1:57PM
seil zone 6b MI

Sounds like a great deal! A warning about separating them, it ain't easy! You'll probably lose a lot of them in the process. You might want to just split each pot into two instead of trying to separate all of them. Each cutting's root structure will be very small and if you break any roots, and you will, you may lose that cutting completely. Good luck!

Bookmark   last Friday at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Chamblee's
I just received my first shipment of roses ever from...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Rooting cuttings
I have been a miniature rose lover for quite some time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
The minirose bought last Christmas
Finally some pictures with the Rhododendron. I have...
jujujojo_gw
mini and pineapple love each other.
My pineapple houseplant was getting too big so I put...
Wild Haired Mavens
Miniature Rose Trade
I have a fair listing of miniature and antique roses....
txaggiegirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™