Impulse Buy

firefly2000June 18, 2007

I had a really really bad day today and when at the grocery store I bought myself a mini rose. I know nothing about them but did some poking around and found out it is not a palace rose as labeled but a parade rose - Clara. Now I read that these roses don't really do so well and I already love it. It's white with green outer petals and a button eye, and fragrant. SO, if it dies, can you recommend a replacement of any size? I found it at the link below under blooming plants, roser, then parade.

http://www.poulsenroser.com

http://www.poulsenroser.com/VisStandardSide.asp?iSideID=1390&emneid=1&menu=735

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

It is SO NOT TRUE that Parade roses don't do well. In fact, they can be very good plants. They just need to be cared for properly early on so that they have a good chance at survival. And they should be planted outdoors (or kept in an pot outdoors), they are not indoor plants. See the thread at the link below to get your roses started, and once they are actively growing, you can transplant them into the ground.

I'm glad that your plant had the name, some of the resellers don't include the variety name on the plants. Clara Parade looks nice. I think the closest substitute would be Green Ice.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to save a potted gift roses

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 10:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stephanotis_1(8b AZ)

I have 7 Parade and Palace mini roses, all purchased from grocery stores and Walmart. They are the hardiest, healthiest, and most bloomy roses I own. They are on a south facing wall getting reflected Arizona heat blasted at them all day long, and they deal with it tremendously. The only issue I have had with them so far is that I planted them too close together and today I discovered a few spider mites on one of the plants, way deep in the thorny foliage. Anywhoo, none of my full size roses have even shown a bit of the gumption that these guys do, and I plan on getting many more in the future to put in the backyard. All of my mini's were impulse buys too, and I just came home with 2 more yesterday, so I have 9 now. As a side note I have only had one die, and that was one I bought at Mother's Day for my neighbor, and she underpotted and underwatered it, so it bit the dust.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 12:24AM
More Discussions
Is this fungus?!
I was pruning my mini roses and ran into this at the...
Nattie_Natt
Big Pots
Last evening my husband came home with some pots he...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Sport of Hot Tamale?
Hello! My Hot Tamale is new this year, own root. It...
redwolfdoc_z5
dan_keil_cr
You have lovely collection of many types of roses....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Grocery store minis
Since there is no lack of posts about these little...
ziyakr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™