Habanero Powder?

doublek1229September 29, 2010

Hi all,

Grew habaneros for the first time this year (In Connecticut) Had great luck as literally I have hundreds of habanero peppers. They were coming in so fast, that I made a bunch of hot sauce, and still have a lot of leftovers.

I decided to try to make habanero powder for chile and other foods. I took the seeds out and halved them and they are currently on my dehydrator. (I read they need 12-14 hours).

After that I just need to grind them up and store them? Does the powder ever go bad, or can I store it with other spices? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsheets(5)

Personally, I grind my peppers in small batches. I don't know how much it matters, but, my thought process is the more surface area you have, the more oxidation - therefore, not as fresh.

I have kept / used dried peppers for a couple years with no problem.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 12:18PM
fiedlermeister(04/05)

I think they would lose potency over time. Biggest problem I had was caking. Some people use an anti-caking agent but I have not tried .

john

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 12:20PM
noinwi

It takes me quite a while to use up my powder. I put it in small(used)spice shakers and add a few popcorn kernels to the containers to break up any caking before I use it. Just give it a good shake(with the lid on...don't ask me how I know that)before sprinkling on your dish. I do the same thing with (bulk)sea salt that doesn't have anti-caking agents.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 12:35PM
vic01(z4MN)

If I grind a good amount I fill a container then put the rest in a freezer bag and into the freezer it goes. I always have freshly ground pepper powder and it doesn't go stale.

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 11:34AM
ottawapepper

This response is probably a little late since you posted a few days ago but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

I concur with fiedlermeister regarding the powder loosing pungency over time although vic01's freezer suggestion would extend the life of your powder. Although I've never tried it noinwi's popcorn kernel suggestion makes sense... I'll try it myself.

OK, I'll add the following observations based on my experience.

- peppers are dry enough to grind when they snap when bent (usually 18-24 hours in dehydrator for habs)
- small coffee or spice grinders work best for a powder consistency
- fill spice jars with ground pepper and place in a cool dark spot upside down for a few days.
- if no condensation forms after 2 or 3 days the powder is dry it's OK to store in a spice cupboard. If not, bag and freeze.

FWIW,

Bill

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 7:59PM
smokemaster_2007

I run my pods through a food processor to get it chunky so my spice grinder has an easier time making the fine powder.
I usually freeze the chunked pods and grind small amounts at a time when I make a rub or whatever.

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 12:27AM
More Discussions
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
have 3rd generation hot bell (jalepeno bell cross)-- seed swap
need bhut jolokia/ghost pepper immediately- it's getting...
greengrass12
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Tip for burning hands from working with hot pepper
I'm sure this tip has been addressed but had to share...
utdeedee
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Sponsored Products
Santos Green Iron Planter
$34.99 | zulily
Provence Outdoor Throw Pillow, Patio Furniture
$153.00 | FRONTGATE
Nagoya Dual Outdoor Patio Chaise in Espresso White
$699.00 | LexMod
Chrome Toilet Paper Holder & Dispenser
$12.99 | zulily
Pagoda Solar 6000K 3.2 Watt LED Black Lamp Post Light
Lamps Plus