Jeanne LaJoie - is it a Mini? See the picture!!!

roseperson(z5 S/E MI)July 9, 2006

The concept of Mini - is confusing at times. We tend to think Minis as - small roses on small plants; at least I think it that way.

This is my Jeanne LaJoie this past spring. It is over 20 feet wide and well over 12 feet tall. How would you space more than one of these monsters? Well, you guess!!!

And the number of blooms? Well, you guess again.

This is my carefree all time favorite climber.

-- Roseperson

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nberg7(z7NC)

I love this rose more and more every time I see it growing like you have it. Just gorgeous! I agree, the concept of the term "mini" really goes out the window on some of them that are classified that way. I have a Poulsen mini I bought last year that sports 4 inch blooms that last for two weeks on the bush. It started off with those perky little mini blooms at purchase time. Who knew? But because of this, I'm looking more and more at the minis for cost reasons and flexibility of planting sites. I wish more of them had scent though.
-Nan

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 3:30PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Oh holy cow. I planted it on a 6' x 2' trellis. I had no idea....

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 12:14AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

"Mini" refers to the size of the bloom, not the size of the plant. JlJ is a climbing miniature. Other, non-climbing, minis can be up to 4' tall in my garden, with some mini-floras up to 5' tall.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 11:39AM
cajunrosegal(10 south florida)

Well that cinched it for me I have a wall that needs to be covered and that will definitely do the trick!

Angela

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 10:21PM
idesofmontreal2(z4 QC)

Wow,indeed. Congratulations on cultivating such a spectacular specimen. My Jeanne LaJoie - purchased three years ago - has performed beautifully this year. But it cannot compare with yours. Please let me know how you situated the plant to obtain such excellent results. Congratulations.

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 8:01PM
michelle_co(z5 CO)

Roseperson, JLJ is just beautiful. How old is that plant? Is it winter-hardy to the tips? I am in Z5 and am pretty excited that your JLJ grows like that. I have two of them on the way to plant for my grandma and am thinking I need to leave them a B-I-G space to beautify.
Thanks!
Michelle

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
Help!
I bought a mini rose for a bridal shower gift at walmart....
suyoder
Size of pot
I asked this on the main Rose forum but thought I'd...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
How to deal with black spots
My mini-roses seem to be very vulnerable to black spots....
jujujojo_gw
to cut the blooms or not
I got a shipment of plants in today, in 5 " pots....
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Help with ID of grocery store mini (pics)
I saw these two minis at the grocery store for $3.99...
gardennatlanta
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™