when will they ripen?

andyandy(6bMI)September 4, 2012

I have lots of peppers (mainly ghost) but some others to. but non have started to ripen. We have had above average temps here (low-high 80s) and it has been really mild (mid-high 60s at night). We are about to have our first plolonged cool off starting Friday with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 50s. Could this cool down trigger some of them to ripen?

thanx,

Andy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
habjolokia

Hi Andy,

Yes, I am in zone 7 and about a week an 1/2 ago I started to finally get ripe Bhuts. They take forever to get to that point but once one does others are quickly to follow. Last year I harvested my last Bhut outdoors in Nov and brought the two plants in to finish ripening in December.

Mark

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 12:47PM
andyandy(6bMI)

Mark-
Thank you, I'm in zone 6. Early September here can be 90 or 70 and it's been mostly in the 80s the past two weeks. I grew the ghosts out of curiosity more than anything else. I have used ghost pepper powder while clloking and it came out ok. the puree was smoking and too hot. I'm hoping i can dry these and store them.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 2:08PM
esox07 (4b)

Yes, I have a bunch of peppers hanging on my plants that are full size and normally are picked at this stage (Sweet Banana, Hot Hungarian Wax, pepperoncini and Jalapeno) but with the season winding down, I figured I would let many of them ripen and then pick the whole batch at once. It will pretty much be the end of my season with a few immature pods still hanging until first hard freeze. But I have a bunch of peppers and it has been a long, long wait and now I have my first two Bananas finally turning orange a couple pepperoncinis are red and none of my Jalapenos are red yet.
Oh, I have some Orange bells just sitting there green as can be too.
Bruce

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Pepper Plant Wilting at Night
Hi All, My plant has been growing lovely, but at night...
salevene
Another Forum Suggestion?
What is another forum that we can migrate to? This...
jtight
Crunch Sweet Orange Seed Offer
Somebody once said if you want to be happy, do something...
rt_peasant
Possible NuMex Halloween Mutation
So this year I broke out one of my dried NuMex Halloween...
Edymnion
Tip for burning hands from working with hot pepper
I'm sure this tip has been addressed but had to share...
utdeedee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™