container mini question

michelle_co(z5 CO)July 29, 2006

Hi,

I ordered a bunch more minis (mini-manic?), with the idea of keeping some potted on my patio. We have a shade pergola with some large pillars and lattice that would look great with potted roses.

1. Can I use bottom/self watering containers? They will be on a hot, south facing patio.

2. Can I pot climbing minis? I ordered Rainbow's End, LaJoie, and Snowfall. I would love to let them climb.

Here's a picture of the back patio/drip garden. I would like potted roses inside the entrance arbor, and either small bushes or climbers in containers near the green chair and probably clear over to the left, where a lattice section screens off the hot tub.

There are new roses planted in front of the entrance arbor in the ground, they will fill up that space when they mature (a Sally Holmes on the right, and Mountain Mignonette on the left). For the taller lattice on the right, there are two baby Twister climbers establishing themselves to eventually fill in that area. For the short lattice with the rock on top of the 6x6, there is a young William Baffin establishing in that spot. He has an established grape vine on his left, and an established honeysuckle vine on his right. I think that area will be overcrowded when he starts growing (I didn't realize how large Baffins get).

Other ideas are welcome.

Happy Gardening,

Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

I wouldn't use any pot with a saucer on the bottom. You don't want them in any standing water.

Yes, you can put climbers in pots.

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 6:20PM
Portiemom(San Diego)

Sure, pots are fine. But remember the bushes themselves can get fairly large though the blooms are tiny. You might want to pot up in a bigger pot than usual.

I think self watering containers are different than using saucered pots.
They should not cause standing water. I've not used them, but I hear good
reports of them.

Jean L.

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 1:29AM
roselin32(7TX)

There is no way I would try to grow Jeanne La Joie in a pot. Mine is at least as large if not larger than a lot of my regular roses and send out basals every year.......lots of them.

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 9:41PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

Haha. I just bought Jeanne Lajoie yesterday, and upon reading I am starting to realize I just bought a potential monster.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 5:05PM
mike_in_new_orleans(9a/ coastal LA)

I agree with Diane. I would only use pots with clear, open drain holes underneath; no bottom contraptions of any kind. You want to be able to water-water-water without fear of it backing up and suffocating the roots. Instead of self-watering pots, try a small amount of water-retaining crystals mixed into the soil. Just don't overdo it. I'd also avoid clay pots, as they allow the water to evaporate quickly and can get hot in the sun and bake the feeder roots. As for the pot size, you will want huge pots for climbers, even mini-climbers. Normally, I like to start baby roses off in small pots and repot up as they grow, but since climbers will be tied in place, that could be really awkward. I think I'd go for 24 inch diameter pots right off the bat. Maybe plant some non-agressive annuals around the small rose, so it doesn't look completely lost in the pot. Then the annuals can be scrapped as the rose gets bigger. Remember, too, a climber will tend to bloom only a little the first year, as it spends most of its energy on growing the long canes. Be patient, the following year will be beautiful.

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 7:44AM
More Discussions
Is this just transplant shock?
Hello, I got these from trader joes last week. They...
jakrat85
What's wrong with this little miniature rose plant??
Hi all, My mom got this for me up in Sonoma around...
a_shau
Source for minis
What is the current favorite source for the miniatures?...
barb_roselover_in
Supermarket Minis
Once again, I am getting tempted by Supermarket Minis....
Buford_NE_GA_7A
Rooting cuttings
I have been a miniature rose lover for quite some time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™