crabapple losing bark-- possibly dead

terryincs(z5 IL)April 23, 2009

I have a 9 year old Prairiefire crab that was just getting to be beautiful in the spring. I just noticed that the bark is falling off in many places and all around the circumf. I don't see insects and am not sure what might have caused it. I did not wrap the tree this winter because it was old enough I thought. I pruned a couple branches and they were dry. What do you think it might be and are other trees in danger?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan Staley

It could be a number of things.

Pics for diagnosis, please.

Dan

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 11:42AM
terryincs(z5 IL)

I couldn't add a photo here but posted in the Garden Web Clinic forum. Please check out the photo and see what you think. Thanks! Also, would planting another crab in the area be wise?

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 3:58PM
Dan Staley

Way too little information. Think through what someone not there might need if this is important to you.

Dan

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 8:21PM
terryincs(z5 IL)

Not sure what else is needed. I bumped the post up in the Pest and Diseases forum so the photo is there. The tree had been doing fine except a little bark peeling off last year, not girdled. Full flowers and fruit last year as well. No sign of bugs or disease that I could see (but I wasn't really looking last year). It is dead--I can attest to that now. The question is... can I plant another crab in the same area? Since I don't know what might have killed the tree, I am afraid to plant the same type. Any other advice? Thanks!

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Adding zone to your user name
First make sure you are logged into Houzz. Click on...
gjcore
Eating my Poppies
I know, poppies are supposed to be one of those plants...
blueiris24
Greenhouse, metal roof?
Hi, I'm in Victor, ID at 6500'. My husband is building...
ladypant
Roses for the Front Range- Highly recommended type
Everyone, I'd highly recommend that you check out Buck...
richsd
Help me plan my Colorado sunshed
This spring I'm converting an existing shed into a...
Golden David
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™