Phobaeticus chani!

Skybird - z5, Denver, ColoradoApril 22, 2010

HowÂd you like to have thing walking around on you??? ItÂs the worldÂs longest insect! A friend of mine posted it on her blog, and I couldnÂt resist showing you all!

Just think of all the aphids that thing could eat!

;-)

Skybird

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mayberrygardener(z5a, Broomfield, CO)

ew ew ew EW EW EWWWWW!!! GET IT OFF ME!!! YUCKY YUCKY YUCKY!!!

Just looking at that pic freaks me out. Dude--it's on your FACE!

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 10:27PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

ROFL!

That's funny, Mayberry! And right now I'm having some cheese and WINE while I'm watching TV, so it's even funnier than it might be otherwise! I TOTALLY cracked up when I read your post!

But, I admit, I was thinking the same thing when I figured out that what was on his face was ALIVE!

Skybird

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 11:43PM
jclepine(8b)

Well, that is just way too cool! I've always been a fan of bugs. I used to cringe with excitement at the images my mind created when my dad would tell Vietnam stories. The jungle bugs were so big that when a stick bug landed on his shoulder, he jumped way up. They weren't allowed to scream or they'd be found and in more danger, but he wanted to. One guy in his group woke up to a beetle drilling into his arm. He didn't scream but he jumped and flicked that guy off his arm.

We always went back packing at the base of the Sierra Nevadas. One time, going up the trail, I saw the biggest beetle I'd ever seen, about two inches long and fat. I remembered the drilling-beetle story and instead of stopping to investigate I leapt over it like it was a coiled snake with rabies or something! I may have looked back at it while moving away at break-neck speed because I still see it quite clearly in my mind.

I'd love to hold a stick bug. But, heck no, I would not want that thing on my face. Off, I say, get off!

:)

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 10:42PM
david52_gw

I've seen some in the same genus in Africa, when we lived next door, literally, to a forest/bird preserve. A foot long, easily, and they're just like a bundle of twigs. They'd fly/blow into our yard. You'd never notice them at all unless they're crawling up a white painted wall or something.

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
The opening bell has rung
bell peppers? No, not this year, but several hot's! We've...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Great Backyard Bird Count - 2015
Great Backyard Bird Count - Cornell Hi all, It’s...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
Food Quiz
I gotta get outside and get to work in all this sunshine...
digit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™