Acidanthera 'orchid gladiolus'

dafygardennut(5b-ish, CO)April 1, 2009

My daughter had a fundraiser and I always end up getting whatever bulbs or flowers they have because I really don't need the sweets, magazines or kitchen gear offered. I ended up getting the orchid glads, "blue glads", blue anemone (skybird, we can try these together) and something else I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll ask about the others later on :-)

Acidanthera "orchid gladiolus". Any tips, tricks, are they hard or easy to grow, likes/dislikes, etc.

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Hi Dafy,

Acidanthera is something that had been on my wish list for over 10 years, so when I saw a pack of them for only $2 at a dollar store last year, I got them. They were ok, but compared to the pictures you always seeÂLOTS of flowersÂI was kind of disappointed. There are a lot of buds on each stem, but only one flower on each stem blooms at a time! I had about a dozen of them, and they were only planted a few inches from each other, but I never got a nice "show" like it looks like in the picture you posted!

My best advice would be to plant the bulbs practically on top of each otherÂas close together as you can get themÂmaybe an inch apart. That way even if thereÂs only one flower on each stem, itÂll look more like a bouquet than like "individual flowers!" (The flowers really arenÂt that big!)

The other thing is, like glads, theyÂre tender bulbs, so if you want to be sure to have them for Â10, you need to dig them in the fall and store them over winter, then replant the following spring. I left mine in the ground! I planned to do that when I put them in! Too lazy to dig things up for winter storage! TheyÂre in a pretty warm corner, so itÂs conceivable that some of them have made it, but I think itÂll be a couple more months before I know for sure. Fairly recently I went out and pulled on the remaining foliageÂand it came off! ThatÂs a bad sign (to me, at least) that they probably didnÂt make it. But IÂve had glads come back, and have had the foliage "rot" off of them too, so maybe they will come back. If they donÂt come back, I wasnÂt impressed enough with them to go to the trouble of getting more and planting them again. ThatÂs the nice thing about having a small yard! When I lose something, itÂs a good thing! I just consider it another place to try something else! :-)

So plant them close together and just wait for them! TheyÂre very easy to grow! Just donÂt keep them wet all the time since theyÂre bulbs (or cormsÂor whatever!), and staying too wet will probably rot them.

One more thing scratched off my wish list,
Skybird

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Adding zone to your user name
First make sure you are logged into Houzz. Click on...
gjcore
Help me plan my Colorado sunshed
This spring I'm converting an existing shed into a...
Golden David
Greenhouse, metal roof?
Hi, I'm in Victor, ID at 6500'. My husband is building...
ladypant
RMG - How do I do it -- Where do I find it thread!
Hi all, I just thought I'd start a thread here for...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Bits and pieces
To share interesting stuff you just found out. Generous...
david52 Zone 6
Sponsored Products
Pediment Hot Pink Colorblock Shade Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Voluspa Baltic Orange Candlepot
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
Jane Seymour Fuchsia Phalaenopsis Orchid 19H in. Silk Flower Arrangement Multico
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Modern 3-Hole Bud Vase
$16.99 | Dot & Bo
Runner Rug: Persepolis Bronze Semi-Worsted 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Vig Furniture - Divani Casa Orchid - Contemporary Black Italian...
Great Furniture Deal
Orchid Bloom Plaid Chenille Throw
$19.99 | zulily
Gold Orchid Cocktail Napkin Holder
$59.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™