Anyone growing Epimedium in z5 or less?

maryhmApril 5, 2008

I just learned about these plants, and have a perfect shady spot for them. They seem to be a little pricey though, so I'd like to know what varieties any of you may be having success with before I take the plunge.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emagineer(z5 CO)

I have this popping up in all the shady places. When moving into my home the yard had nothing all around the perimeter and under the trees. There were signs of a wonderful garden at one time, but previous owners must have used weed killer on everything except the grass. And thankfully the flowering bushes, vines and trees are still growing beautifully.

Every spring/summer something does start showing up again. This plant is one of them. It doesn't care if it is under an old pine tree, where I built the shed, poking up through rocks and not getting water. I don't know what variety it is, but they all create heavy root systems which is why this plant is growing again.

Considering the growth habits, am not sure why they would be expensive as someone is probably trying to get rid of them constantly. I am also looking at planting ajuga varieties in my dry shade areas. It seems to have the same growth habits.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
RMG - How do I do it -- Where do I find it thread!
Hi all, I just thought I'd start a thread here for...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Ready for Harvest :o)
Here's what some of the plants look like in my greenhouse...
digit
Thornless blackberries in CO?
I've got a front yard veggie/fruit/perennial garden...
packardce
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™