Eggs for growing

spiroanDecember 12, 2013

Hi everyone,

Just sitting here with the winter plumeria blues, and a question popped in my head. I'm sure this has probably been explored before, but with all the success rooting cuttings with the egg method, I wonder if my plants will wake up from dormancy and throw inflos quicker in the spring with a raw egg under them. Given that I plunge the pots into the soil, I could probably just put an egg near one of the drain holes of the pots when I put them in the ground. Thoughts? Is this a decent idea, or have I just had the blues too long?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fancyorchid(9a S.F. Bay Area)

Hi spiroan... would you put them(eggs) outside the pots ?? I don't know if They would work, I have my Plumies in containers, hopefully Bill or Michael will let you know if it'll work or not!!!
Annamaria

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 11:11PM
spiroan

Yes, I was thinking about putting them outside the pots, just near the drain holes or maybe under the pot a little ways. I don't know whether it would be worth the trouble or not. Either way, something to think about while my plants are sitting around dropping leaves in my garage.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 8:50AM
fancyorchid(9a S.F. Bay Area)

I suppose you have nothing to lose, except a few "cheap" eggs....Good Luck.....let me know if IT Worked!!!!
Annamaria

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 1:14PM
rox146

I have done eggs for 3 years now...in the pots to root quicker and better. In the ground for transplanting, never outside of the pot. I thought the whole thing was about the egg being several inches from the end of the cutting? roxanne

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Plant robbers
I woke up this morning to find one of my plants, a...
gidgetsocal
Plumies doing better
Hello! Just an update. My beautiful plumies are doing...
tamela_star
a test for Laura
Just a test to see if working, now only to remember...
rox146
Bag Rooting
I have a few cuttings that I need to get going and...
plumeriai45
Bayer tree and shrub
Has anyone ever mixed in fertilizer with the Bayer...
rox146
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™