Help...what is this?

JPaoloDecember 8, 2013

I bought 3 dormant plumeria in Hawaii in April, brought them home to Oregon and put them in my greenhouse. All 3 thrived and flowered - I was thrilled! It started getting cold and although my greenhouse is heated, when the temp dropped into the twenties, I brought them inside. 2 of the plumeria are dropping their leaves and going back into dormancy. This one is doing the same, but also suffered from black tip (which I cut off) and this spot on its trunk. It's hard, dry, slowly spreading, and notice the cracks in the trunk around it. It doesn't smell and I can't identify on any sites. Can anyone educate this amateur on what this is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lbinupland_zone_9(9)

Looks like frost damage? When I get that, I prune back until I see white milk flow. LB

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 7:35PM
JPaolo

Would frost damage continue to spread even after I brought it in the house? When I trimmed the black tip off the flower stem at the top I got the white milk...so does it mean it's ok?

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:35PM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

Pin pick the question area and see if you get white sap. If not you will need to cut below the area to save the plant. Cut back to white wood and clean your cutter each time with wood alcohol after each cut to prevent spreading rot.

This post was edited by kms2 on Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 11:47

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 10:18AM
JPaolo

Thank you. I poked the area in question and got no milk so I cut below it where the bark appears to be normal in color. I got lots of milk and nothing but white wood so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a successful recovery. :)

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 6:17PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hi.. Sounds like you did the right thing!!!

Don't forget to seal the top so it isn't exposed to moisture and or insects which can cause rot or other issues.

Some use the Dap Sealant from Lowes or any big box store and some ( myself included) like to use a waterproof wood glue which you can find at Lowes. Elmer's carries a waterproof wood glue sold In The paint aisle. I would seal sooner than later. Usually I allow a few hours after I cut and the latex seals itself. It still needs additional help to prevent rot. Make sure you seal the entire cut surface...

Then this spring, you will notice new branching.

Good luck!!!

Laura

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
OT White Beach In Southern Cali?
I think I need to put Visine in my eyes.. Did I just...
Siam Red Showing It Is Still Awake...
Hello Everyone!!! I just wanted to post a pic of Siam...
My Plumeria Tree After NE Flotrida Hard Freeze .
Hello gang; This plumeria has been outside all winter...
edzone9
update wrong time of year cuttings.
So several months ago I showed the 2 cuttings given...
rox146
How To Give Away Plumeria
I bought a plumeria (gorgeous pinks and yellows) before...
treehugger101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™