Holy Cold Hardy Artichokes Batman!

bob_in_coloradoApril 30, 2013

So. I've tried Imperial Star Artichokes for 4 years now. I'm sick and tired of growing them as annuals here just east of Colorado Springs.

The search began for a truly cold hardy artichoke. After doing some reading, I discovered the 'Improved Green Globe Artichoke',

While the hardiness varies from site to site, (I think some CYA is going on with some sites), 5 seems to be a good solid average. While the site I ordered my seeds from claims a zone 3, the highest I've seen is 7. The vast majority say 5.

Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm going to set out my Imperial Stars as planned, but I'm going to direct sow 10-15 of these IGG types. In order to help myself and invoke Murphy's Law, I'm going to plant them where they'd represent the biggest pain if they did indeed come back, in the vineyard.

Input? Experiences? 2-cents? (I'll be sure to give one back).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I started Green Globe a few years ago with the same idea but my dad was hospitalized and I wasn't able to care for them when they were seedlings. I found this site to be helpful back then. Hopefully I can try again soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artichokes Can Learn to Like Colorado

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
Spring Swap
Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters...
gjmancini
Thornless blackberries in CO?
I've got a front yard veggie/fruit/perennial garden...
packardce
Like to See What is Happening
... in Rocky Mountain weather compared to "normals." Choose...
digit
Holly, potatoes!
I tried to send you an email but apparently the mobile...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™