Work of Art not blooming

Maureen JandaSeptember 7, 2005

My Work of Art is new this year. Once it got started, it's grown very fast up a six foot trellis. I cut the top off a branch when it reached 6 feet, and it then put out lots of branches at the top. Is this what some refer to as a candleabra? Problem is, there are very few blooms.

Do I need to bend the branches down like some other climbers? How should I be training this on the trellis?Could this just be the plant is too busy gaining height to bloom? Advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msjam2

Hi there,

When did you purchase your Work of Art and from whom? I purchased mine from Heirloom in June and it has only grown about 3 inches tall. It has since given me only about 7 flowers. I noticed three more buds and new growth this week and I think it's because of the alfalfa tea. Have you tried the tea yet?

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 11:06AM
Maureen Janda

I got mine from Nor'East in about March, potted it in a 6" pot. It started very slowly, by far the slowest of the 12 minis I ordered. I planted it in the soil about early May, still quite small. Then it finally put out one strong cane which reached up rapidly, followed by two other main canes. I had one of the shorter canes flower at the tip with 6 or so buds, very pretty, in late July, but none since. The plant is very healthy. I didn't use alfalfa tea, but I did scratch alfalfa meal into the soil in late spring/early summer, and I'm going to do it again soon.

It sounds like yours is on a similar time schedule, based on buying it 3 months later.

Bookmark   September 9, 2005 at 1:27PM
Janell(z6ID)

Hope yours does better than mine. I've had it for 4 years and it's still only around a foot tall and hardly gives me any blooms...

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Jujujojo's Purple and Gold mini rose
Jujujojo mentioned seeing a purple and gold miniature...
jasminerose4u, California
Big Pots
Last evening my husband came home with some pots he...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Rooting cuttings
I have been a miniature rose lover for quite some time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Supermarket Minis
Once again, I am getting tempted by Supermarket Minis....
Buford_NE_GA_7A
Rapid yellowing of leaves
Hi gardeners, I bought a miniature rose plant from...
Ateems
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™