Groundcover advice - hot, sunny spot

sweetmagnoliameMay 16, 2009

Hi all,

I need help with groundcover between stepping stones on the hot, dry south side of my house. I planted red creeping thyme along/between the stones 4 years ago and it's gorgeous, except in the spots where my 100-lb dog likes to lie down. He's in the house all day so it's not like he's lying on it all day, but so far the thyme has not made it in those spots, even with a couple of replantings. After adding mulch for a few years the ground alongside and between the stones is level with the top of the stones. The soil between the stones is like concrete (clay-based soil). I've been thinking about digging out the areas between the stones and trying some kind of ground cover that is thicker (like moss) than the thyme, which basically grows on top of the ground. Something with roots that are not so close to ground level...if that makes sense. A moss would look great, but I doubt it would survive this area. There is a bit of shade from a columnar cherry tree, but it's basically hot and sunny.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mags

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jclepine(8b)

Mags,
I'm not too sure of your zone, but, out here, I have moss between my stones and it is happy living in the clay. However, the parts that get the mid-afternoon and afternoon shade are quite mossier than the parts that get all day southern sun, and, the parts that get the most sun do not hold anything but weeds. Also, the moss seems to live even when it pops out. How to explain?...little clumps of it pop out from between the stones and just lie on top, happy and green. I think my dogs claw at it, pee on it and such. Not sure the roots are that deep.
I hope that helps!
J

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 12:49AM
dafygardennut(5b-ish, CO)

I have creeping baby's breath as a ground cover next to snow in summer, they well in my sunny front yard and get about 3+ inches high when they start blooming so I'm not sure whether those would work between stepping stones. Maybe sedum would work better for you there or the cinquefoil that was mentioned on another thread. It stays low to the ground even when blooming. I have it in the back between the retaining wall and patio as a kind of living border.

Dafy Jen

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 4:39PM
david52_gw

Ice plant? Not your usual suspect for stepping stones, but here, it thrives in hot sunny areas - but does need some water now and again to do really well.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 7:16PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Veronica levanensis or Veronica pectinata. Sky-blue fls just got done, medium-green lvs, tough.

Dan

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
I Think I'd Have Trouble in Denver
... or most anywhere in Colorado! Such high elevations....
digit
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
When should I begin pruning last year's perennials?
Hello, all. I'm wondering when is the best time to...
robin44444
Dig your own water well?
Fort Collins City government's idea of water conservation...
ion_source_guy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™