Planting Miniature Roses

kasiecSeptember 28, 2005

I live in Southern California and was wondering if miniature roses will do better planted in the ground or keep them in pots?

Kasie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjsangel(z5 OH)

Hi Kasie,

I dont live where you are, but they will do well in either situation. In a pot they will need much more water, TLC, but will be fine in your climate. In the ground roses really flourish and do their best. Pots do save space, just make sure the roots have room to grow.

Jen

Bookmark   September 29, 2005 at 6:11AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

In the ground is better. Many varieties do OK in pots but giving the roots lots of space is always the best. Remember, "miniature" refers to the bloom size, not necessarily the plant size.

Bookmark   September 29, 2005 at 10:33AM
kasiec

Hi Jen and Diane - thank you so much for the valuable information.

Kasie

Bookmark   September 29, 2005 at 8:05PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I guess my clay soil and west coast totally dry summers where the ground turns into concrete is hard on the mini's. I bought over a hundred mini's a couple of years ago and many dwindled to almost nothing or died. I have been rescuing some of the small ones and putting them back in pots where they start leafing out and growing again, and the ones I rescued last year are blooming nicely now. So my experience is that most except for the yellows which seem to be the toughest, and a few like White Cloud, Seabreeze, and Sweet Chariot, do better for me in pots. I winter them over in my unheated garage.

Bookmark   October 13, 2005 at 3:03AM
minibot(z9bNorCA Sz16)

I live up North of you, and I have had an okay time in pots, but I just started growing these. They should be fine for a year, but eventually I'll have to pot them up to bigger pots. They came in 4" pots and I put them in about 12" or so. I see new growth and everything! I don't want to put them in the ground because I don't own :-(.

minibot

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Suggestions to plant between mini roses?
I am planting/have planted a bunch of micro minis and...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Chamblee's
I just received my first shipment of roses ever from...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Is this just transplant shock?
Hello, I got these from trader joes last week. They...
jakrat85
source for raplh moore/sequoia mini rose blue mist
hi, does anyone know where I can get this rose? It...
Boca_Joe(zone 7A)
Size of pot
I asked this on the main Rose forum but thought I'd...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™