cover mini rose?

pattio2(z4b - ON)October 31, 2009

I have 2 lovely minis, one is well establisshed over 8 years now in a fairly protected area but the other I just planted this summer and is not as sheltered. It is wide open to west wind. With the first rose I am able to pile leaves around it and snow over it and it is quite snug all winter but not so with the second one. I purchased a styrofome 'dome' to cover it this winter but am wondering if this is the best thing to do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wesley_butterflies(5b/6)

The dome idea seems to be a bit of over kill to me but your two zones colder than I am. I would think it may work best if you can incorporate a flip top to removable top about 1/3 of it's top. From time to time and especially on warmer temp days the mini will still need some form of good circulating air and you can flip open the top on them better days and replace it on colder ice stromy days.

I prune minis down to about 1 - 1 1/2 feet in height and then bury em up to 6-8 inches in hay and fallen leaves. This idea will save you from having to walk in some deep snows during the winter months ahead and it will allow for good air without added efforts.
Best of luck
Wes

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 2:17PM
phil_schorr(z6St.Louis)

As Weslety says, when using styrofoam cones or domes, be sure you have a way to provide ventilation on warmer days. Otherwise the buildup of heat and humidity inside the cone will be very bad for the rose.

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 11:42PM
pattio2(z4b - ON)

Thanks. I may just cut off the top of the dome and use it as a way to keep the fallen leaves around the rosebush. Might even poke some holes in the sides for air flow. If we get a lot of snow, it will soon be covered anyway.

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 9:05PM
dan_keil_cr Keil(Illinois z5)

Minis are on their own roots and are hardy. I don't protect mine at all, unless some leaves blow in on them.

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Source for minis
What is the current favorite source for the miniatures?...
barb_roselover_in
Another planting mini question
A neighbor I met the day we were digging out all of...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
dan_keil_cr
You have lovely collection of many types of roses....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Trouble with Minis
Hi Guys, I am desperately trying to figure out what...
SoFL Rose z10
mini and pineapple love each other.
My pineapple houseplant was getting too big so I put...
Wild Haired Mavens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™