Please help id this white rose.

wannabegardnr(7 Maryland)February 15, 2014

Found growing under overgrown azaleas and among pachysandra ground cover. Has been giving me 2/3 roses for the last 3 years. No fertilizer, or supplemental watering, except maybe a couple times a year by hand. Last year, this bloomed in Summer, probably mid to end July. This one has not produced long canes. I will say though, that it got constantly eaten by deer and rabbits. But I have another red one, that grew long canes in spite of all that. No fragrance. White flower, probably two and half inch diameter. This one has not been attacked from rose slugs. It's 4 feet from the red one which gets attacked, and they are separated by an azalea.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

They both sound like they're root stock from grafted roses that were planted there and the grafts died off. Then the roots take over and grow. The red one is probably Dr. Huey. I don't know which one the white could be, there are several that were used for grafting. I thought at first R. Multiflora but I think it has too many petals for that.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 7:59PM
wannabegardnr(7 Maryland)

Thanks. Does this mean rip them out for something better?

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 12:56PM
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

Those glossy leaves make me think, not rootstock. Possibly a wichuriana hybrid? Do you have any idea what kind of habit (climbing, shrub) this rose might have if it weren't being eaten by deer? I think it's going to have to receive reasonable care (sun, water, decent soil not invaded by a thousand other things) before you can decide whether it's worth keeping or not. It does look like a cultivated variety,though I have no idea which.
Melissa

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 2:22AM
More Discussions
Rose Identification
Please help me id this rose. Thanks.
Bubbi01
Identify Dark Red/Purple Rose
We just repotted this rose that was producing only...
msdorkgirl
help, is this twilight zone?
It doesn't look like the twilight zone on the website...
msdorkgirl
The name of the rose
While searching for yellow roses on Google a couple...
johnb45
Need to Identify This Rose!
Last summer I decided to go ahead and test this rose...
weberriver
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™