what to do with mini rose in winter?

bungalow975October 16, 2013

I received a beautiful miniature rose plant (Mandarin Sunblaze-Meidarin PP#13291 is what the tag says) for Mother's Day. It has done beautifully all summer on my deck, and has grown quite a bit. It is now about two feet tall and covered with blooms. I wasn't really thinking ahead about overwintering, and wonder what to do with the plant now. The options I am considering are: plant it in the ground (too late, since it's October and I live in northeast Iowa?), keep it indoors in a sunny, south-facing window, or put it in either a cool basement or unheated (unattached) garage. Which option would be best for the plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

I have a friend who lives in N.W Iowa and grows a lot of roses in pots. He puts his in the basement and waters them about once a month. During the winter his basement stays about 38 to 40 and is dark most of the time.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 10:01PM
seil zone 6b MI

Do not bring it inside. It will most likely die if you do. The basement is OK if it's as cold as Ken's but if not don't try it. In anything warmer than that it will try to keep growing with inadequate light and humidity and will exhaust itself and die.

I don't know when your ground would freeze but if it's still several weeks away and you want to plant it do so. The ground is always the best place to winter roses. When you plant it situate it so it is just a little bit lower in the ground than it is in the pot and try to keep that existing root ball in tact as much as possible. The less you disturb the roots the better.

Otherwise put it in the garage, on a shelf or up off the floor. Water some every month all winter, even if it looks frozen, water it some anyway.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 6:07PM
bungalow975

Thank you both for your responses. I think I will put the plant in my garage. My basement is cool, but not cold, and I am a little daunted at the prospect of planting it outdoors now. I will plant it in the ground in the spring. Am I correct in assuming that I should not cut the plant back at all until spring? Thank you again for your advice.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 1:47PM
seil zone 6b MI

Yes, you are correct. You want to keep as much cane length as possible. It has stored energy in those canes that it will need come spring. You will lose some of it to winter die back anyway so you want to keep all you can.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 7:55PM
dan_keil_cr Keil(Illinois z5)

I had some potted roses that I dug a hole and put the pot into thew ground. I then covered the plant with mulch the same as I do for all my roses. It will be fine.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Source for minis
What is the current favorite source for the miniatures?...
barb_roselover_in
Chamblee's
I just received my first shipment of roses ever from...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
What's wrong with this little miniature rose plant??
Hi all, My mom got this for me up in Sonoma around...
a_shau
Jujujojo's Purple and Gold mini rose
Jujujojo mentioned seeing a purple and gold miniature...
jasminerose4u, California
Miniature Rose Trade
I have a fair listing of miniature and antique roses....
txaggiegirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™