How to dormant mini roses in zone 2b Saskatchewan

danesnpits(2a)November 9, 2013

Hi there! I bought these beautiful mini's from walmart..ya I know, bad idea, but they were 3 bucks. They have been growing indoors under metal halides and blooming like nuts! Now that it's middle of Nov, I believe I am to give them a rest, and try again in the spring for blooming. I can not plant them outdoors like the internet says, they will die here when it gets to -40 Celsius. So I hear people say in a garage or somewhere that isn't heated. Well, my garage is heated unfortunately, but could I put them outside in their pots with blankets in the garden shed? Or should I put them in the porch that is a little below room temperature to what they are used to? I also heard refrigerate them, but I have no extra room there either. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Wow, you are very brave, Danesnpits! I do know someone in zone 3 in Alaska that winters her roses by digging a trench in the ground and completely burying her roses.

Are these roses under lights inside and doing well? If so then there is no need to give them a rest. Most roses will grow year round with out any problem if they have the right conditions, light, water and nutrients.

But if you still wish to let them go dormant the shed would probably be the best place. Moving them to a room that is only slightly cooler won't slow them down much. The problem is if the light and humidity aren't right, and they're still trying to grow and bloom, it could be worse for them. The temperatures will still be warm enough that they'll be struggling to grow without an adequate way to produce food.

It really sounds to me that what ever you are doing now is making them happy and you should just continue it.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 11:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
danesnpits(2a)

Hi Seil! Thanks so much for the reply. I have been growing them under metal hallides, I thinking 400 Watt's. I am not sure as my bf got them from when he built the target store here. They are big and you can see the light they emit all the way down the block. I can't even look at them without being blinded LOL. But boy do they do the trick for alot of my plants. I got my oleander next to the and plan to grow some orchids under them. We made sure the foot candles was far enough away to ensure no scortching of leaves and blooms. I have run these things for about 4 months now and all sorts of things are sprouting up, even my foxtail fern, that i had no idea flowers, formed little white buds. I am on the look out now for a fridge on kijiji but so far no luck. I do want to dormant them, and let them rest but I supposed just to keep them going as you said would be better for them so that they don't struggle. Thanks for the advice!

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Miniature Rose color changed?
Hi all! I bought a pink parade rose from the grocery...
gardenInTheSky
How to save a potted gift rose
Although I do not profess to being any type of expert...
fleursuzie
99 Cent Store Gift, a million thanks
I have a neighbor that has a cactus and succulent collection....
jasminerose4u, California
Rooting cuttings
I have been a miniature rose lover for quite some time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
dan_keil_cr
You have lovely collection of many types of roses....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Sponsored Products
Coral Coast Big Daddy Reclining Adirondack Chair with Pull Out Ottoman- Dark Bro
$129.98 | Hayneedle
Chrome 18-Loop Scarf Holder - Set of Three
$11.99 | zulily
Accent Rug: Yousef Cream 2' x 3'
Home Depot
Tub and Tile Cleaner 2-pack
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
Eliot Chair - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Kartio Large Tumbler - Gray - Set of 2 - Iittala
$28.00 | HORNE
Hudson Valley Willet Transitional Mini Pendant
1800Lighting
Furniture of America San Rozue 2-piece Fabric/ Leatherette Sofa and Loveseat Set
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™