Deformed rose buds

lkaguirreNovember 23, 2010

I have four potted miniature rose varieties on my back deck. All do great. Suddenly about a month and a half ago, one of them started having "deformed" new growth. The leaves remain small and "shriveled" looking...buds are stunted and don't open fully. I'm happy to send a pic to someone who may be able to answer what is causing this unusual mutation. It's the only one of four that has this condition. No chemicals or other treatment was done to this one that wasn't also done to the other three pots over the summer. Any insight?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flaurabunda(6a, Central IL)

This happened to one of mine earlier this year; it was a result of my application of fungicide at the wrong time of day. I was in the process of applying Bayer Advanced Disease control one morning & got stopped halfway through my chore. When I went back outside, it was 10 am & the last rose I sprayed had too much direct sunlight. The foliage & buds that faced south, where there was the greatest sun exposure, shriveled & looked a little hinky. The other roses & the backside (shaded side) of that last rose looked perfectly fine. Learned my lesson!
---Laura

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 9:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronda_in_carolina

Are you familiar with Rose Rosette Disease? If not, look into it to be sure this is not what you have. It can spread to any other roses you have.

If you go over to the Rose Forum you will see much conversation about this (often abbreviated RRD)

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Help with ID of grocery store mini (pics)
I saw these two minis at the grocery store for $3.99...
gardennatlanta
Kordana Rose
I purchased a Kordana miniature rose plant in August....
mjreis
Sport of Hot Tamale?
Hello! My Hot Tamale is new this year, own root. It...
redwolfdoc_z5
Size of pot
I asked this on the main Rose forum but thought I'd...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Chamblee's
I just received my first shipment of roses ever from...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™