Are Austrian Coppers this thorny?

weberriverMarch 7, 2014

I'm currently living in my grandparents' home, and there are 20-30 rose bushes here that I am going to attempt to ID once they bloom.

But while in the garden today, I noticed a tag sticking up out of the dirt at the base of one of them. It reads "Austrian Copper No 1." I looked up photos of this rose, and I'm not sure if it was in the garden last year (I didn't get interested in roses until this past winter). Also, the rose bush that I found the tag next to has fairly distinctive thorns, whereas I can't find photos of Austrian Copper with a clear enough view of its thorns to compare.

Is anyone familiar with this rose? Does this bush's thorns resemble an Austrian Copper's or not? I know the photo isn't much to go by, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask early on. It's possible that the tag belonged to another bush altogether that once resided in the same location -- my grandparents have had this rose garden since the 1960s.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weberriver

There's another bush next to this one that looks very similar.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 6:02PM
seil zone 6b MI

Austrian Copper is a species (wild) rose and yes, it is thorny. You won't really be able to ID for sure though until it blooms.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 7:14PM
weberriver

Thanks, Seil! And yep, I know. :)

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 4:07PM
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

It certainly looks like a plant of 'Austrian Copper'. All the forms of R. foetida (AC is a color sport) have canes of a rich brown aging to dull gray and brown, and a lot of narrow, sharp prickles. The flowers will confirm the ID, as you and Seil have said.
Could the other rose beside it be a sucker? The Foetidas sucker moderately once they're established.
Melissa

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 3:11AM
More Discussions
Old rose ID 2
This is a climbing rose that clambers to 15 feet over...
dkelch
Large fragrant apricot rose ID.
I'm trying to ID this apricot rose that came with my...
fireballsocal
A single petaled coral colored rose
This bushy rose came with the house. I never paid much...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Need to Identify This Rose!
Last summer I decided to go ahead and test this rose...
weberriver
Identify Dark Red/Purple Rose
We just repotted this rose that was producing only...
msdorkgirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™