Pruning Miniature Roses

mawheelNovember 2, 2007

I looked on the Rose FAQ page, but didn't find the information I'm seeking.

I planted a miniature rose bush in a sheltered spot last May. It has done spectacularly well all summer. In fact, it still has many buds which aren't going to bloom, because we've had three frosts this week. It's grown a lot bigger than what I thought a miniature rose would do. Should I prune it, and if so, is now the time? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

No pruning now. You want to prune in late winter/early spring when the forsythia (yellow flowering shrub) is in bloom. In this area, it would be sometime from late March to mid-April. No more fertilizing either (that should have stopped in August).

And just as an FYI, "miniature" refers to the size of the bloom, not the size of the plant. I have a couple of minis that will top out at 5' tall this year (they usually range from 3' - 4' tall). Some varieties are smaller, some larger.

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 10:53AM
mawheel

Diane nj, thanks so much for your advice. I will definitely follow it. Also, thanks for the FYI, I had no idea "miniature" referred to the size of the bloom and not the size of the plant. Afraid I'm not much of a gardener!

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 8:35PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

No problem, many of us learned quickly when our "miniatures" became large enough to eat small animals! :-)) I have a few minis that are larger than some floribundas!

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 9:45AM
julie22

I have to agree with Diane. Don't prune now. Wait until late winter/early spring when the forsythia bloom. I find I have less winter kill if I don't overdo.

Most of my miniatures, fully mature are about 3'x3', some of the miniflora get almost 5'x5'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening and Other Stuff

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 6:49AM
More Discussions
Size of pot
I asked this on the main Rose forum but thought I'd...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Rooting cuttings
I have been a miniature rose lover for quite some time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
The minirose bought last Christmas
Finally some pictures with the Rhododendron. I have...
jujujojo_gw
mini and pineapple love each other.
My pineapple houseplant was getting too big so I put...
Wild Haired Mavens
Is this fungus?!
I was pruning my mini roses and ran into this at the...
Nattie_Natt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™