Pink and Red Roses on Same Plant

Julias23April 24, 2012

I had a rose bush in my yard when I moved in 4 years ago but it's only ever produced large red roses. This year, it is producing it's usual large red roses- maybe a bit bigger than normal, plus it has 10 or so clusters of between 5 and 10 smaller pink roses. Is this normal/ what kind of plant is this? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

A picture would certainly help but it sounds like you have what is called a sport. A sport is a naturally occurring genetic mutation. For what ever reason, while the plant is growing the genes get mixed up differently and a different flower appears. It can be a different color, shape or size bloom. If a cutting from that section is rooted and grown and the blooms continue to be different from the mother plant it's called a stable sport. There are many examples of stable sports that are in commerce today. Many "climbing" forms of hybrid teas are sports of the original bush forms. You will see names that say "white' this or "red" that and often (not always) these are different colored sports of the original rose.

If you'd like you can try and root a cutting and see what happens. Or you can tag that branch and see if it continues to bloom differently.

Enjoy!

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 8:01PM
Julias23

This is so interesting - thank you for responding! I am far from a gardening expert much less an expert on roses. I was learning about grafting but from what I can tell, if that happened I probably would have seen the separate blooms long before now. I hadn't found the word "sport" yet so will investigate that now. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow if for no other reason than it's a really beautiful plant. Thank you again for taking the time to explain!

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 11:28PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Could be a sport (mutation). Also could be a sucker from the rootstock. Where does the cane that the pink flowers are on emerge? If they are coming from below ground, then it could be a sucker from a graft. Do the blooms looks like the link below? Then your blooms are the rose Manetti, which is suckering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manetti at helpmefind.com

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Three many petalled roses: yellow and pink/apricot - lots of pics
Hello! First let me tell you that I am not at all aware...
karatepop
Please help me ID these two floral roses
I had 2 floral roses about ten years ago. I grafted...
gardentiller
Need to Identify This Rose!
Last summer I decided to go ahead and test this rose...
weberriver
Tall deep pink rose ID
This rose was planted by the previous owner, probably...
BarbJP CA 15-16/9B
Sponsored Products
Pink Pansy Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
14-Inch Wisteria Wall Sconce
$124.20 | Bellacor
Glass Jewelry Box
$75.00 | FRONTGATE
18 Inch Towel Rack with Towel Bar
TheBathOutlet
Anna G. Magnet by Alessi
$6.00 | Lumens
Pink Baby's First Tooth Box - PINK
$135.00 | Horchow
Calandra Crown Wingback Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Illumine Lamps Designer Collection 18 in. Pink Fabric Shade Table Lamp
$80.57 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™