Over Wintering Mini's

gardenlady76(TX coast/9)December 5, 2011

This is my first winter with Minis and I want to know what steps should I take to insure they survive. Of course I am in a coastal climate and our temps seldom dip below freezing, BUT, last winter proved that to be wrong....

There are five of them, all in large pots. They are well mulched, but will receive wind from the north and west and are on a raised deck. I will cover them, but, is this sufficient enough to keep them from freezing or should they be put inside?

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

In your climate they should be fine with little or no protection even in pots. A light freeze down to around 28 degrees shouldn't cause any damage at all. Anything lower and you will probably lose some cane length. If it's possible to put them in a garage or shed to protect them from the wind you could do that. But be careful because that may be too warm and they'll start to grow. If you start to get the pale green or white growth it's too warm and you may want to move them back outside. And you want to keep them watered even when dormant. I only keep my tree rose in the shed and I water mine at least once a month. Actually I usually dump a shovel full of snow on it every time we get snow. I keep my other pots on the south side of the house because that gets the most sun and warmth all winter but I'm way colder than you.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 7:31PM
dan_keil_cr Keil(Illinois z5)

I live in Central Illinois. I don't cover my minis. They are planted in the ground.
For your potted minis just put the pots up close to the south side of your house and make sure the pots don't dry out put mulch on the soil in the pot.

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 10:46PM
mccommas(z5CT)

In New England we could not overwinter our miniroses indoors. They always died. I put one outside one year and it came back.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 8:53PM
trospero(8)

I have had no problem overwintering roses in containers without protection. However, when/if temps go much below 20F, you should probably consider putting them in a sheltered spot. What you want to avoid is the soil itself freezing solid for extended periods.

Best not to bring the pots indoors; the plants do best when allowed to go fully dormant for a period of time.

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
mini and pineapple love each other.
My pineapple houseplant was getting too big so I put...
Wild Haired Mavens
Pleased to say
On February 10th I received eight one gallon pots of...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
It is perpetual
My neighbor, whom I've never met in a year even though...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Grocery store minis
Since there is no lack of posts about these little...
ziyakr
What's wrong with this little miniature rose plant??
Hi all, My mom got this for me up in Sonoma around...
a_shau
Sponsored Products
City Lights Outdoor Art
Grandin Road
Forgings Pyramid Cabinet Pull
Signature Hardware
Pera 6 Bronze One-Light Mini Pendant with Ceylon Glass
$166.50 | Bellacor
78" Outdoor Patio Slate Stone Mosaic Dining Table - MAPLE
Living'ROC
Black Metal Hexagon Pendant Lamp
Cost Plus World Market