rose with many colors

dutchessmom(9a)April 4, 2007

My mother was telling me the other day that she had heard of a hybid rose bush that can bloom more than one color of rose. Has anyone heard of this? If so what is it and where can we find one?

Thank you,

Steph

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

There are standards, also called "tree", roses that have two different roses grafted onto them, Weeks Roses calls them "Twofers". They are available at some garden centers.

There are many other roses that are bi-colored or multi-colored, but I don't think this is what she means.

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 3:37PM
kathy9norcal

I was wondering if she meant Joseph's Coat, which starts as a yellow, goes to orange,then red, and later reddish white. At any one time, you will have at least 3 different colored roses on it. It is a climbing rose usually.
Kathy

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 8:07PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Another possibility is the rootstock sending out suckers. You could get 2 completely different roses that way, for a while, until the rootstock took over completely.

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 8:36PM
mikentx

She could've been talking about a China rose. Many "fade" to darker colors, making it look like there's several different colors on the bush at once. Archduke Charles goes from pink to red. Mutabilis moves from yellow to pink to red. Did she mention what the colors were? Or how large the rose was?

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 1:24PM
ronda_in_carolina

Rio Samba and Playboy also change colors dramatically as the blooms age. They start in the orange and yellow family but very often end up a true shade of pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rio Samba images

Bookmark   April 13, 2007 at 8:52AM
organic_appliquelady

I had a climbing rose that was called Cirue Cirus and as the rose aged it went from light yellow to a very deep rose colour. I have been looking for an other one and been having a very hard time finding a new one.

Hugs janice

Bookmark   April 13, 2007 at 1:21PM
donnaz5(Z5 NY)

also, there is seven sisters...that could be what she meant. donna

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
help, is this twilight zone?
It doesn't look like the twilight zone on the website...
msdorkgirl
Red & white striped rose
I'm trying to identify my neighbor's red & white...
weberriver
Rose Identification
Please help me id this rose. Thanks.
Bubbi01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™