Royal Purple Smokebush

valygirlMay 29, 2014

An article on e-How advises to to feed your smoke bush a 10-10-10 fertilizer 3 times a year in March, June & August (during the first year of growth). I am in Grand Junction, where the temperatures are going into the 90's. Could anyone who has these shrubs tell me if you have done this fertilizing & if it would harm them to apply in hot weather? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katgardener(5b)

Hi Valygirl,

I have either smoke trees or bushes - bushes I think - and they are doing fine without fertizing. I have to admit, however, that I am lousy at fertilizing. I always forget!
I'm in Colorado Springs, so our temps do not get quite as high as yours. I love my smoke bushes!,

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 11:13AM
david52_gw

I have one - I mulch it with grass clippings, which deteriorate at about the right rate to keep the plant growing nicely.

They take a good three years just sitting there building roots, then they take off the 3rd year.

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 1:14PM
Denver_Designer(5)

I have two smokebushes. I spray them a couple of times each year with fish emulsion when I spray my garden. But I think they would do fine without it. Three times a year sounds like overkill to me.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Your Seed Catalogs
Are they showing up in the mail box? The 2015 Stokes...
digit
Batten down the hatches!
Hi all, Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
I Think I'd Have Trouble in Denver
... or most anywhere in Colorado! Such high elevations....
digit
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™